Importing paid subscribers from Substack but getting "Could not find Stripe customer" error

Hi,

I’m in the process of migrating my Substack newsletter to Ghost and am following the migration guides.

I have exported my subscriber list from Substack, added the stripe IDs for paid subscribers and uploaded to Ghost using the “import members” button. After a while I get an email saying:

Your member import is complete
A total of X people were successfully added or updated in your list of members, and now have access to your site.
Y members were skipped due to errors.
There’s a validated CSV file attached to this email with the list of errors so that you can fix them and re-upload the CSV to complete the import.

When looking at the provided CSV, all of the members have the same error Could not find Stripe customer.

The problem being that this Y value is all of my paid subscribers. I’ve checked the stripe IDs and they’re in the format given in the docs (cus_GdsYH4fZbHx9hF) and I can also look up the customer IDs that I’m providing to Ghost in Stripe and find the customer so I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with the IDs.

My only theory is that Ghost isn’t successfully talking to Stripe but when I check the membership section of my portal, it does say that the connection is working

I’m not sure where to go from here. Is anyone able to point out where I’ve gone wrong?

Thanks,
LT

I’m going to take a guess that you don’t have your Ghost install hooked up to the SAME Stripe account, in the same mode (dev or prod) – that’ll definitely trigger that error.

1 Like

Hey Cathy - that’s it. Stripe recently separated out all of my linked accounts so now I have FOUR. They make it near impossible to make out which one is which so I had to go through a process of elimination but got there in the end. Many thanks!

1 Like