Is it just me or my Members admin area vanished?

If you’re looking for some help, it’s important to provide as much context as possible so that people are able to assist you. Try to always mention:

• What’s your URL? https://codruvrabie.eu/
  • What version of Ghost are you using? Latest, 3.22.1
  • How was Ghost installed and configured? Manually, on Ubuntu 18.04
  • What Node version, database, OS & browser are you using? 10.21.0, MacOS, Chrome
  • What errors or information do you see in the console? None
  • What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having? Not sure, it’s a pretty standard Ghost install with Nubia theme. What appeared new was that after latest Ghost update, the members area disappeared from the admin and the posts were all private, even though the Members feature in Labs was disabled since a long time ago.

If i switched to Casper, posts are visible fully again, but the Members area in admin is still missing.

Hi @dsecareanu

There are two problems in this case. The first - the “members” area is visible only to “owner”, the second is (Ghost 3.22.1):

1 Like

Thank you for the info (I added my confirmation of the issue in github as well).

Any idea why the Members area is only available to Owners (and when this happened, used to be available)? I’m admin-ing the blog of a few friends and I can’t have them as owners as I need to manage this component for them as well… :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I don’t know :/

Members settings are only available to the Owner user because they contain sensitive data, like Stripe Keys - which should never be shared. We may have more flexible permissions in future, but there are no plans to change this behaviour at present.

If you need to make changes on behalf of someone else, you can always ask them to transfer ownership to you to set things up, and then transfer it back again.

The members area has not been available to admins since the earliest version of members alpha some time last year - the feature has always worked this way. So either you were running a very old version, or perhaps your upgrade process at some point and the migrations did not complete / run correctly.

Choice makes a lot of sense, but I would personally still allow admin access to members as, at least in most of my client use cases, the admin does the payment integration anyways (as well as the processor’s account setup) and most of the time the Owner <> Admin relationship is a trust based relationship (as otherwise all these cannot happen as the owner usually doesn’t wanna get bothered with admin stuff, even if it’s financial in nature).