Removing Membership Features Breaking Theme

• What’s your URL? Local Installation

• What version of Ghost are you using? Latest: 4.2.0

• How was Ghost installed and configured? Followed documentation for local install

• What Node version, database, OS & browser are you using? Current Node, default database, Mac OS, Chrome

• What errors or information do you see in the console? n/a

• What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having?

I was following this: Ghost 4.0 - Really Terrible for Personal Blog - #10 by Kevin to remove membership features from the default Casper theme. When I remove the code from Default and Post pages it breaks the theme. It seems like the css is removed.

I undid the changes but the theme was still broken i.e. ctrl + z, saved and restarted Ghost.

Additional notes:

• Fresh install of ghost and Casper theme
  • There’s no conflicting CSS or used injected scripts

Any suggestions on why the theme might be breaking?

Edit 1
Okay, I’ve half solved it myself. It seems to be only an issue when I save it with vscode. Would it be something to do with the encoding or end of line sequence?

I’ve removed the membership features using @Kevin’s instructions too, and it works. I think you’re on the right track with encoding.

It might be worth downloading Ghost again and editing the Casper theme directly on the server with Vim, or whichever tool you use. I also fork the theme in git too, so all the membership stuff I remove can be rolled back if there’s an update I need to test, or if I break something :slight_smile: