Membership Tiers: beta feedback/issues

I solved this by buying a custom theme that shows the free tier on the pricing page, but it was pretty frustrating to have to do that and not all of them do :frowning:

Thanks @prschulz and the rest of the Ghost team. I’ve just started playing around with tiers for the first time and it’s extremely well designed all around. Cheers!

At one point during my tests I added in a fourth tier, but when I went to hit the “Save” button it wouldn’t go through, the “Save” button having then changed to a red “Retry” button. I narrowed down the problem to one of the benefits being rather long, and figured out that a benefit can’t have more than 191 characters. Is this by design? And if so, might there be some kind of indicator in the future notifying the user of the amount of available characters left?

Thanks again for the awesome work!

Piggybacking on the comment about the hardcoded free tier data, it would be nice if we could somehow add in a way to distinguish a “negative benefit”, be it for the free tier or any other. For example, on a custom theme I’ve been working on I’ve hardcoded into the free tier a “benefit” that says “Access to members-only posts”, but which has a red ✗ to the left of the “benefit” (as opposed to a green ✓). I figure this could be useful as it would be an added way to drive home the point via specific mention of what you’re not getting. Like such:

4 Likes

First of all, thanks a ton for this. This solved a huge feature issue for us.

Right now we’re getting a validation error when we attempt to create plans for zero/zero. One of the things we’d like to use this for on our site is segment mailed content, not necessarily charge for it. Are there any plans to create multiple free tiers, or alternately allow zero-cost product tiers?

I’m in the process of moving over from a Patreon, and I just want to say thanks to the team because the tiers incredible, and something I’ve been looking forward to for awhile.

It may be my extremely limited skills, but I’m trying to figure out an issue with the Access variable and tier specific posts.

As an example lets say I post to a $10 tier. If I’m not logged in, or not a paid user, everything works fine and I’m shown the upgrade path I have set. But if I’m logged in as a $5 tier member and try to access the $10 tier post, I just see a blank post with no upgrade path. I assume this has to do with there previously only being 3 access levels (public, member, & paid member).

Curious if anyone else has encountered this?

Is there a way to omit the currency symbol from the {{price product.monthly_price}} helper?

I currently utilize the {{ price currency=@price.currency }} and {{ @price.currency }} helpers so I can stylize the currency symbol as well as the currency name, as such:

But when I substitute the hardcoded “5” I have in the above example with the {{price product.monthly_price}} helper I end up with the following:

I tried playing around with the {{price product.monthly_price}} but that didn’t work out too well:

Edit: This apparently can’t be fixed by ditching the {{ price currency=@price.currency }} and then applying some ::first-letter pseudo element CSS seeing how Firefox sees the $ character as a special character rather than as a letter.

@prschulz Just wanted to chime in on this thread: Love the addition so far. Just a small cosmetic thing I’ve noticed (at last on MacOS Safari 15). When the discount is above 9% it bungs up the div and pushes things down in a funny way. Images attached to show what I mean

1 Like

I’m getting the same error — can add 2 tiers, but not a third. I had a tier with a three-word name, reduced to two words, reduced to two shorter words, but just keep getting the same error.

So, looking at the DB in my local environment, the Tier name generates a slug from the human-readable name of the tier. If the name is long, the slug is long. So, I’ve got round it by using a short name to begin with (when the slug is generated) and then, once it’s saved, editing the human-readable name to what I actually want it to be.

(Actually, I edited the slug in my local DB — wouldn’t be able to do that in live where I don’t have direct access to the DB [e.g. Ghost Pro].)

Is it possible to delete a tier at the moment? I don’t see any button/link for that at the moment. E.g. the default tier has a long slug name (see the earlier post on the [posts.visibility] error Membership Tiers: beta feedback/issues - #9 by niv) and it would be useful to remove it, rather than just edit it.

1 Like

Hi @dgslocum - Glad you’re liking it!

We do / should support this path. Would you mind sending the name of the theme you’re using?

Thanks, @brendantko. Flagging for the team!

Hi @prschulz!

I tested the {{@product}} and {{@products}} helpers and everything works great. I am very impressed with what the Ghost team has accomplished!

At this point, the only thing blocking me from moving forward is the lack of ‚benefits’ to the context of the {{#foreach @products}} helper. Any idea when the initial version of this will be out?

I also noticed that there is no way to delete or archive additional plans. This results in the {{#foreach @products}} helper returning all plans, which can be an undesirable result.

I tried limiting them by adding for example to="3" - but to no avail. Argument limit="3" also does not work. I don’t know if this is intentional or a bug, but it would be ideal if there was an option to hide unnecessary plans. However, I understand that this is a beta, and it is only a matter of time when such an option will be available.

On another note, I’ve gathered some general thoughts about ‘Tiers’. Maybe the Ghost team will find here something interesting :slight_smile:

#idea 1
Currently the plans are arranged from the cheapest to the most expensive (from what I’ve seen they are based on the price of the monthly plans), it would be great if they could be arranged freely by admin - so that for example the most expensive plan could be shown between other lower plans. This could be useful in some use cases.

#idea 2
Another idea is to be able to mark a plan as ‘featured’ from the admin level (as in the case of posts). This would allow a specific plan to be highlighted in theme.

#idea 3
It would be great if the {{#foreach @products}} helper was synchronized with the ‘Portal’ settings for selected plans - so that both the native version in the theme and ‘Portal’ would display the same plans. Currently, even though only the ‘Gold’ plan is selected in Portal, for example, the {{#foreach @products}} helper will return all other plans.

#idea 4
In the current version of Ghost when we have only monthly and yearly plans - it has become customary to add different descriptions and benefits for both plans. In the new version of ‘Tiers’ if someone has only one plan, they can’t configure the monthly and annual differently - the benefits and description will be common for both. It would be helpful if there was a distinction for description and benefits depending on whether the plan is monthly or annual.

I know these are not the most urgent matters but I thought it will be good to share.
Thank you again for your work!

2 Likes

I’m using the Wave theme, but I believe I got it sorted. Thanks!

Wow what a result!

1 Like

Absolutely loving the new tiers feature, such an important addition and so beautifully implemented!

A couple of small feature requests from me:

• we want to offer our premium tiers on annual only (since they include things like merch that don’t really make sense if people are just paying us monthly, and anyway we think that people who are willing to support us more are likely to be happy with an annual sub already.

However, we still want to be able to keep monthly option available for regular-tier subscriptions. Currently, it’s only possible to deactivate monthly (or annual) for all tiers together, rather than being able to choose on a tier-by-tier basis.

• would love to have different welcome pages for each tier; currently can only set one welcome page for all tiers simultaneously.

Thanks to everyone at Ghost team for this amazing update!

5 Likes

@gibbsdesign - This has been updated in the latest release (4.17.0) and will be rolled out later today. Upgrades will now work as expected / charge at the time of upgrade.

3 Likes

Hey Peter, I’m putting together a FAQ for a tiers-utilizing site and would like to mention this ability. I’m wondering though, will the upgraded tier mean that the user will be charged the extra amount solely on the time they have remaining, or will their subscription be extended out to one year from that point?

Of course, @Stromfeldt. Here are some examples!

• Upgrade from $50/mo to $100/mo (same for going from yearly to yearly) →

• Member is charged at time of upgrade pro-rated diff between the $50 already paid in beg of month and the new $100 amount (calculated by Stripe)
    • Billing cycle stays the same
  • Upgrade from $50/mo to $500/yr →

• Member is charged at time of upgrade pro-rated diff between the $50 already paid in beg of month and the new $500 for the year (e.g. if you were 1/2 way through the month then you’d pay $500 - $25 left in cycle = $475 )
    • Billing cycle shifts to annual

These are all based on the Stripe always_invoice setting for upgrades. More on that here.

2 Likes

You need to use the .amount property, like so:

{{price monthly_price.amount}}

Hope that helps!

1 Like