Moving from Squarespace

Hey everyone,

I want to move my blog from Squarespace to Ghost. But there’s no documentation on this at all. Since Squarespace only exports XML files and Ghost doesn’t except it. I could not make it work. The only resource that I could find was this.

https://www.simonfacciol.com/squarespace-to-ghost/

I tried to do the things mentioned in the post but since I am no coder, I am not able to resolve the error that I am receiving. Can anyone help me convert XML files to Json files that Ghost supports. Any help is greatly appreciated because I am at my wits end here.

Hey @reckless :wave:
Let’s see if we can help. Can you explain the error in more detail? How far into the tutorial did you get?

1 Like

Hey,

thanks for replying. I have created the index.js and package.json file. But when running the last command (npm run create), Terminal is showing this error.

Did you run the npm install step?

Yes I did.

Ah ok cool. This does seem like a fairly technical approach, however Squarespace haven’t really provided you with a very flexible export. I’ve managed to get the same code running on my machine. If you want to share the XML with me then I can give it a go? No problem if you’re not comfortable with that

1 Like

Hey, I got it working. Just ran everything from start again. I think you were right. npm install was the problem. It worked when I ran it the second time after you said it. Thanks a lot for your help.

I will still have to upload all the images manually though. That’s a problem in itself. But at least all my posts with tags, publishing date, and everything is on ghost now.

1 Like

No problem! Did their export not give you the images? There might be a way to pull down all those images :thinking:

I don’t know. Even the blog says it cannot import images. I can send you the XML file if you want. You can take a look at it. Is there a way to privately send the file to you?

Images can be imported into Ghost, they can be done as part of a zip file or by dropping them into the content directory in Ghost. Go to my profile on here and there should be a private message option :blush:

Can’t find the private message button. Can you send me a message and then I can reply to it.

1 Like

You’ll probably want to use a Chrome plugin to get all of tour images saved locally first. It’s a good thing to do anyway, as that’s the only way to backup. But the images should all be hosted via AWS, so they “should” all be referenced in the XML, so when viewed, they “should” appear, but it’s hard to know without looking. Worse-case, manually add all images through the admin. It’s a pain, but at least you can also optimize them for speed, etc.

Also look for the Mac tool: SiteSucker to pull-down any site’s content.