Native comments system

Hello,

That would be great if ghost team should add internal ghost commenting system. This would help us to easily manage comments from our admin panel instead of depending on third parties. Now discuss started showing ads in his comment box section and that was not good at all. I would highly recommend having self-hosted comment system or that would be great if ghost team include this feature in their future upgrades.

Thank you!

Agreed, Iā€™ve been looking for a commenting system since the begining :slight_smile:, or for a plugin/addons mechanism that would allow us to try implementing that.

Glad to see Iā€™m not the only one missing that feature.

1 Like

Disqus is Alternative But Not Proper Solution. When The Blog Becomes More Popular Disqus has been Given Unwanted Advertise Without Any Permission.

3 Likes

While I agree on native commenting would be really nice:

Why donā€™t you try Isso from posativ for now? Thereā€™s some blogs out there on how to set it up and integrate it into your ghost blog. Iā€™ve got it up and running for my blogs and itā€™s like disqus, but itā€™s not tracked or hosted by third parties.

https://posativ.org/isso/

2 Likes

If ghost ever introduced a native comment system, will it be SQLite supported or not?

times like these make me wonder why any sort of non-breaking gateway to ghostsā€™s db hasnā€™t been implemented in any form, even creating a generic API endpoint to allow diehardhard users to mess with an otherwise irrelevant table in the ghost data base would be an infinite improvement over nothing.

I fill the gaps between ghost themes and extended data by using MongoDBā€™s could cloud service, but that sort of workflow is best suited for the certifiably insane and I donā€™t see this suiting many people.

2 Likes

Iā€™am still new to GHOST as a kinda Blogging CMS for me but i donā€™t support nor like the Idea of a native System for Comments implemented deeply within the Core. In my humble Opinion the Demand for this Functionality would be better solved as a Plugin or Add-On that can turned On/Off if necessary and works more like an Extra instead of a Component of the Core.

WordPress for Example has a build in System for Comments and itā€™s a Mess like the rest of it. I know that GHOST doesnā€™t work like WordPress and thatā€™s a good Thing. So we should see GHOST as what it is and what it shouldnā€™t become, the next WordPress-Like-Thing.

GHOST is for Publishing, anything above that is Optional in my Opinion.

7 Likes

An integration with discourse would make a lot of sense.

3 Likes

Commenting systems are not easy to do right. Theyā€™re also a classic iceberg problem, where it seems like a small thing but a mountain lies beneath. Because of spam and bad actors, you automatically need filtering and moderation tools. And these in of themselves are projects of their own.

11 Likes

good example Introduction | Valine äø€ę¬¾åæ«é€Ÿć€ē®€ę“äø”é«˜ę•ˆēš„ę— åŽē«ÆčƄč®ŗē³»ē»Ÿć€‚

I Agree. Ghost should not become anything like wordpress.

5 Likes

I set up a site with Discus but switched to IntenseDebate. I find it to be a much better solution. The comments are less cluttered, easier to configure and they use the siteā€™s CSS so they look natural. It is easy to moderate and the junk filters are configurable and effective. System is built and maintained by Automattic (sp) the same folks that built WordPress so it should have some longevity. Here is a page that has a couple comments. Thousand Islands Land Trust, Happenings July 2019

Is this a Question?

Ghost has the ā€œOptionā€ to implement any given Comment System and thatā€™s all.

There is a whole Topic to this Question tooā€¦ :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

Agree with this we want custom comment system by Ghost
Why you try to tell people other solution, why you not approved all voted ideas?

1 Like

Exactly how I feel, Ghost needs to keep a clean core to keep it fast and uncluttered; that being said, a module system for Ghost which allowed for extensions (without using webhooks or similar) would be really nice. The current extensions feel really cluttered and convoluted to me, as your passing a bunch of public data around to get anything to work.

1 Like

Ghost is not a Blog but a light CMS, by definition a Blog must have a build in System for Comments but adding this feature does not make it a WordPress.
The performance depends of how the code is made, not of the features,

FreeOffice for example has most of the Excel features and it runs a lot faster, is more accurate and needs less resources.

1 Like

I agree Ghost needs and internal commenting system. Actually it is mandatory if it really aspires to become a professional tool.

As a creator you need to be in contact with your audience and ā€œlikesā€ and ā€œcommentsā€ are the modern way. (even this forum have likes).

The true method to get good ranks in SEO are comments and shares. Ghost should manage trackbacks and pingbacks too.

Comments are so important that big editorials charge you just for commenting ie CondƩ Nast

If Ghost goal is to make it simple for publishers, it must have the tools in its system, instead of forcing them to manage one vendor per feature.

Even Facebook and LinkedIn can be used as Blogs and they have all the tools that people loves so Ghost needs to be one step forward. The membership tool is good, but it will need more to make professionals to change, even from WordPress.

I may advice the Ghost team to get the point of view of professional creators/publishers. Now with the hosted service the technical side does not matter any more.

It is not the same to upload a page with a disquss widget than making money with your content.

1 Like

Adding this from another thread

1 Like

The quote above was posted over a year ago, but the comment still ring true. You can read up on our approach to adding features over on our FAQ. There are plenty of services and tools out there that focus on providing comments and methods of interacting with your community, some of which we have on our site. Weā€™ve also recently added a guide on how to add comments to an existing Ghost site.

If youā€™re looking for something thatā€™s fast loading and more integrated with your site then thereā€™s always the JAMstack approach. Using Ghost as a headless CMS you can combine it with services like Staticman in a seamless static site.

Rest assured we are reading all your comments and listening to your feedback, but we believe there are a lot of options out there that are already doing a great job :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I agree with the above comments that comment functionality should probably be provided via a tight integration and native support for a specific plugin as opposed to being built into core. However, that leaves the question of which commenting plugin Ghost should select to provide native support for. The way I see it is this:

1. The options discussed above are ā€˜openā€™ and in line with Ghostā€™s core values, but are often a) less powerful b) may not have a secure development future
  2. Options like Disqus suck for obvious reasons

Iā€™m surprised no one has discussed the option of providing native support for Coral Talk yet. Coral was created by Mozilla and recently acquired by Vox Media who have maintained its open source license (and who state will keep it open source in future), and has strong adoption in a lot of enterprise publishers. Seems like a nice middle ground between the considerations discussed in 1) and 2), i.e. the balancing act between ā€˜powerā€™ and continued development.

Of course, if this option is to be explored, Ghost will have to speed up moving to Node12 as ā€˜recommended supportā€™ from v10, as Coral only supports Node12 and above.

@John thoughts?