One site, Multiple Ghost themes

Let’s say I wanted to run a blog using Iveel’s Dawn theme but I wanted to have a navigation bar link to a podcast page running the Wave theme. Is that possible, and how can it be done?

You would need to take a theme and copy the code of the other one to match your needs.

1 Like

I was thinking I could set up multiple different sites on one droplet by setting them as subdomains (ie blog.example.com, podcast.example.com) and set each of them to have a different theme, then link them all to the main blog by creating links to each subdomain through the navigation bar. That would allow different themes on each section of the site. Would there be a way if you signed in on the main site (as a member) it would sign you into all sub domains as well? Can you customise the info you request when a person signs in? I need them to sign in with a username and password, not an email address.

It would be way, way easier to cut and paste code from the different themes.

Also, you are losing SEO benefits of creating more pages if you have podcast pages and blog pages on separate sub domains.

Consider the fact that your user would come to one site and then experience a totally different theme by going to another part of your website.

I too would like help with this matter …I achieved the idea but its nothing more than duck tape and bubble gum :disappointed:

That’s exactly what i’m thinking of doing. Using the Dope theme to divide three sections of the site. A blog, podcast and a forum. The blog will run Dawn and the podcast will run Wave. How did you set it up to go from Dope to Edge if you don’t mind me asking? It looks great.

I’m not that concerned about the contrast of the themes because all the Iveel themes are very similar looking to one another. It wouldn’t be much of a contrast from one to the other. The bit that confuses me though is the CSS. Could each page be set up as a custom template?

@petecodes can you elaborate about the SEO downfall? They are under the same domain, wouldn’t that be sufficient to have certain keywords associated with the domain?

The podcast page could have different keywords to expand the scope of SEO reach. Please correct me if I am misled.

Thanks.

@andrewdefries

sub1.domain.com and sub2.domain.com are two separate domains, not one. As such, their SEO rankings and stats will be separate. Likewise, the following are all considered unique domains:

In the first two cases (the root domain and the “www” subdomain), most site owners will redirect all traffic from one to the other. If they don’t then there will likely be duplicate content issues between domain.com/content and www.domain.com/content.

If you want to subdivide content within one domain, then you should use folders instead:

… then all SEO will be attributed to www.domain.com.

2 Likes