Payment Currency In INR / ₹ - Membership / Subscription

While Stripe is available in India now. The Ghost team will need to update for INR / ₹ just like they did for the latest 5 currencies. Here’s why this is important:

According to Stripe (I checked with their support) - an Indian customer cannot use their Indian credit card to make USD payments (as of now). If they have a USD/International Credit Card (which means an international/US address also) they may be able to make the payment in the default USD. This also means non-Indian customers will have no problem for paying in USD.

However, if your customer base is predominantly in India - then you have to offer INR, and Stripe does accept that.

So, just starting this thread in hopes that the Ghost Team will put INR on the table/roadmap soon - so we can build our sites in India. (I know some major publications that are using Ghost, and would love to see this as well).

Please like this if you wish to get INR on the radar :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey :wave:t3:Thanks for your feedback about adding currencies, it’s definitely something on our radar to expand across more currencies in the future.

In the meantime, you can already use any payment gateway you want via Zapier or directly via our API. Patreon is just one documented example , the same setup works for just about any other system.

2 Likes

Thanks Kym - but its not as efficient as having it built directly into Ghost, as it is with other currencies. The less moving parts we have, the better Ghost becomes.

3 Likes

Hi Kym

I wanted to use Ghost as an alternative to wordpress but I see that INR is not supported?

Is there a way I can accept from with stripe or razorpay?

Thanks
Gaurav

Is there an actual implementation for this?

Ghost team suggest using Zapier. Though dont think it is a proper solution, so have to wait for the team to update Ghost with INR / ₹

It is such a straightforward thing to implement since stripe already supports INR.

I am forced to consider Podia because there is no ETA on this.

Can rally behind this. If Ghost Membership has to be a real alternative to substack in india, it will need INR support and I don’t see why it can’t be possible given Stripe already supports it.

1 Like

I bought my domain from namecheap and then self hosted Ghost using DigitalCloud, for which I paid via PayPal which accepts Indian Credit Cards, and so does NameCheap.

Furthermore, to stay competitive in a market like India, they would need to slash their prices to 20% of their current value.

Not sure who you’re referring to as “they”? Ghost or the other companies? I presume ur not referring to Ghost, because you’ve self hosted. What other companies charge is not in Ghost’s control - they have an option (Ghost Pro) which may be high for Indian fx rates, but thats’ to remove the hassle.

There are sites like https://getmidnight.com/ which are cheaper for those who dont wish to use Digital Ocean and tinker.

I think they are offering value for money in general(compared to podia/memberstack etc) but without INR integration, it is a complete mess of patchworks to try and use it.

Yes, but let’s be patient - bring along your developer friends onto Ghost!

I’m not a developer, but I’m guessing it should be possible / simple given that other currencies have been supported.

Stripe support India. But substack and stripe together don’t support subscription the last time I checked with substack they said they don’t support subscriptions with stripe.

So stripe is bad example.

I also want to shift from wordpress to Ghost at it is aesthetically better than substack. India suffers as we are not a huge revenue base :frowning:

Kudos to the Ghost Team - they’ve introduced ₹ subscription option in the beta! Thank you guys, hope to see the continued development.

1 Like