Remove 9 Image Limitation from Galleries

Why the 9 image limit to galleries? I am not a Ghost User but am considering it for next projects. I work with images a lot and for me it’s a problem that galleries are limited to 9 images. I know I can add as many galleries as I want but that’s not ideal.

Imagine if a project contains ten images that you need to add another gallery for the last image.

If a project has 100 images then it is necessary to add 11 galleries?

I spoke to support and they said that I could suggest the idea to remove the 9 image limit here so here am! Anyone else feel that the 9 image limitation is counterproductive/not ideal?

I second this motion!

1 Like

Agree, would love to see a larger gallery limit. It is especially helpful for posts about a trip, with a considerable number of pictures.

2 Likes

Ditto!

Also, a pop up light box - even a basic one that’s open source would be welcome!

3 Likes

Ever find a fix?

Nine images is fine with me, but another, related thing: I wish there was a way to manipulate the layout a bit.

As of now, if I post 5 images they will render render in two rows with two and three images respectively. Six images will be 3x3, four images 2x2 etc. If I wish to have a gallery layout with four images in upper row and two in the lower row, that’s simply not possible.

Hopefully this sort of sophistication will come by time as Ghost evolves.

3 Likes

I agree.

I’m bummed out about Ghost’s gallery implementation compared to Word Press. Word Press is a far better experience for the visitor.

Then once I add to a gallery I can’t figure out how to reorder it. Maybe that’s on me.

There’s a vote button above, please use that rather than adding +1 comments.

Please don’t repeat the same message across topics. Answer given here

Then once I add to a gallery I can’t figure out how to reorder it. Maybe that’s on me.

Drag-and drop. Image cards can also be dragged in and out of galleries to swap between gallery and image cards. If you need help with a feature, please search the forum (this has been answered multiple times before) and if no answer is found open a separate topic to keep things searchable and avoid derailing unrelated topics.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Guide to images with Ghost

@kevin Could I just ask if there is a technical reason for the 9 image limit for galleries? Or was that limit implemented for some other reason?

1 Like

Can’t believe this is still a limitation!

You can add more images to a gallery by dragging them into the gallery, so why not just enable more than 9 images to begin with?

The reason there is a 9 image limit is because drag and drop re-ordering starts to fall apart when not all of the images fit (vertically) inside the viewport.

You can stack image galleries one after the other, and in most themes they will appear as 1 image gallery on the front end, which is an easy workaround.

Removing the 9 image limit will require completely redesigning the drag and drop behaviour of the gallery card, which is certainly possible, but there has historically been very little demand for.

If anyone wants to get involved as an open source contributor on GitHub and help make it happen, then it will probably happen. But if nobody is contributing, then there might not be enough demand from the wider community at the moment to do the work needed to make this possible.

1 Like

This is my #1 feature request across all of Ghost (alongside native table support in the editor), having been using it for the past two weeks. (Great CMS - thank you :)).

I’d really like to be able to customize the layout - i.e. have more than 3 images per row, more than 3 rows, etc. In my case, I want to show a gallery with a ton of small image thumbnails (previews), without taking up massive real estate or making the user scroll a lot.

Some ideas of HOW

• User can build their own grid - or add a table with specific X rows, Y columns (like on G Docs, Word, etc.).
  • Gallery accommodates as many images as it can fit per row, based on relative size of images.
  • User can adjust the size of image thumbnails shown in the gallery (e.g. a slider) - which in turn adjusts the # images that are fit per row.

I think gallery customization would be powerful & needed - more creators using images → more audience engagement → more ROI for everyone.

1 Like