Simple ghost stats/analytics

THIS is what I expected when the initial video came out announcing Ghost. Good to see someone made it!

2 Likes

the analytic plugin costs around 1/3 of the cost of my hosted Ghost setup ā€¦

Am I the only one thinking that Ghost should purchase the rights to Ghostboard?

8 Likes

I tried out Matomo for my instance and it is amazing. It is fully featured and doesnā€™t suffer the 3rd party hosting or data problem that Google Analytics does. It took me just a couple of hours to have it running and working with my Ghost site on my Docker Swarm. Thanks for the pointer.

3 Likes

Iā€™m totally with @someguy about the Pricing for Ghostboard.

I used Matomo (known as Piwik) for quiet some Time in the Past with many Blogs and for normal Websites, without any bigger Problems so far.

Compared to something as a small Script like Statify for WordPress, then Matomo is a real Monster of a Beast in terms of Size and Value.

Yes, you absolutely could and should use Matomo to keep track of multiple Sites but for ā€œonly One wholeā€ Website itā€™s a bit too much in my Opinion, thatā€™s all what Iā€™m saying.

Thatā€™s why I called for a more smaller kinda Plugin to do the same Job. :wink:

2 Likes

There is something strange with ghostboard.
I installed it last night by activating the free trial version.
Today reports:
Ghostboard says I received exactly 1/3 of the visits compared to what Google Analytics says.
Ghostboard says that traffic on my site is 95% from a foreign country, which is the opposite of Google Analytics, and my site is not in English, but in my native language.

No bots filter enabled
No IP filter enabled

There is something wrong, I think.

hey @giacomosilli thanks for your message!

About the countries, I would suggest you to enable the bots filter as I can see your blog got a lot of Googlebots hits (US visits) :thinking: And maybe the bots filter should be enabled by default on Ghostboard

On the other hand, Iā€™m investigating the 1/3 visits issue in your first day, as Ghostboard is constantly updated this will be fixed soon :slight_smile:

Please follow up your dashboard and let me know any question or feedback via Ghostboard support, Iā€™m happy to help you and extend your free trial if you find more issues

Thanks for the reply, and for the support.
I just activated the bots filter, letā€™s see what happens.
As for the visits, about yesterday there is a difference of 1/2 compared to GA.

US
86%
My country
10%

GA:
US
17%
My country
71%

Iā€™ll second (third?) this recommendation. Just got Fathom working on a server this weekend that has an existing Ghost install, and itā€™s lightweight and has a simple, clean interface. :+1:

Doesnā€™t have the powerhouse of metrics that GA has, but it has exactly what I wanted - which pages are most popular and how people are finding my site.

Will we be able to create a page/dashboard within the ghost backend that will show some analytics?
Iā€™d settle for an iframe, but could see this as a fantastic integration opportunity.

Thanks for mentioning this! I can safely say there are no trackers on my site that might scare visitors away. :grin:

In case itā€™s useful to anyone, I wrote a two part tutorial on my Ghost blog: how to use GoAccess for simple CLI reports and also how to use it with nginx and websockets for realtime statistics:

2 Likes

Fathom open source project is not maintained anymore right?

Cloudflare is releasing free privacy focused web analytics

I donā€™t see anything indicating that itā€™s dead, either in their GitHub repo or on their main site. The last update was awhile back, but itā€™s working perfectly well on my site so maybe theyā€™re not feeling a lot of pressure to make more changes right now?

Looks like theyā€™re addressing issues and PRs too - thereā€™s outstanding stuff, but they are responding to thingsā€¦

I hope that is true Grant. Itā€™s a great product.
One of the core developers and original founders who left the project also created a WP plugin called ā€œKoko Analyticsā€.

Another option is Plausible Analytics:

2 Likes

I have also setup GoAccess with slight variations.

1. Report available publicly - Will need some kind of authentication to prevent page access.
  2. Added a cron job to continuously generate the report every 5 minutes.

Read about my steps on Setup simple analytics for Ghost blog using GoAccess. Yet to work on the real time feature. Will definitely checkout your post about it.

1 Like

Does anybody have a recommendation between Ghostboard, Plausible, Fathom, Simple Analytics, Cloudflare or Matomo?

I am self-hosting several websites on DigitalOcean (in separate droplets) and looking for something that is privacy-focused for my site visitors but also gives me a fair amount of useful data and a nice, clean dashboard with pretty graphs for me to look at (thatā€™s what steered me away from GoatCounter) :smiley:

Iā€™d also prefer that somebody else not be able to look at the analytics for my websites, and ideally, not even see a list of domains I have in my account - what made me think of this was that the developer of one of these web analytics services made reference above to looking at a customerā€™s analytics and I would personally not be too happy about that (although in that case the customer may have requested that he do so, and didnā€™t seem bothered at all).

Iā€™ve previously used Simple Analytics and was pretty happy with it, although Iā€™m not sure whether or not he has access to viewing his customersā€™ websites and analyticsā€¦ and I am looking to get a bit more data as well (although I trialed his service very early on and he may have added features since).

Iā€™m also curious to know which, if any of these, are not currently being blocked by browser extensions like uBlock Origin.

In my opinion, you should go with Matomo, because if self hosted, all the data belong to you alone and no third party involved.

It easy to maintain too. :wink:

Plausible can be self-hosted as well, and is not as bloated as Matomo. (For the record, I currently use Matomo but intend to switch to Plausible.)

1 Like