Sometimes, updating a theme locally, I get Ghost update errors due to file permissions

Sometimes when updating a theme locally and uploading it back in I get Ghost update errors due to file permissions.

• What’s your URL? Not specifically relevant, happened on 2-3 different sites where I updated the theme to the latest version (also different themes in each case).

• What version of Ghost are you using? 2.13.2

• What configuration? Ubuntu 16.04 / nginx 1.15 / php 7.0

• What browser? Chrome / MacOS

• What errors or information do you see in the console? not a frontend error

• What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having? Updating a theme locally (i.e. downloading the theme files, modifying them locally with an editor) then uploading the theme in the admin interface, overwriting existing theme usually, generates Ghost update file permission errors:

:heavy_check_mark: Checking system Node.js version
    :heavy_check_mark: Ensuring user is not logged in as ghost user
    :heavy_check_mark: Checking if logged in user is directory owner
    :heavy_check_mark: Checking current folder permissions
    :heavy_check_mark: Checking folder permissions
    :heavy_multiplication_x: Checking file permissions
    :heavy_check_mark: Checking content folder ownership
    :heavy_check_mark: Checking memory availability
    One or more errors occurred.

1. Checking file permissions
      Message: Your installation folder contains some directories or files with incorrect permissions:
    • ./content/themes/polar/default.hbs
    • ./content/themes/polar/locales/en.json

Unfortunately I ran immediately the command to fix the file permissions as I didn’t think to report this initially and I didn’t manage to check what the actual permissions were to see what could have happened. Most probably, though, the file took the ubuntu.ubuntu permissions instead of ghost.ghost, I assume. I will add here though if I run into the same issue at next update.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.