Stripe customer created, even without a subscription

I keep having members added in Stripe, even when they have not entered card details and completed checkout. I reached out to Stripe, but they’ve told me they’re unsure and to try asking Ghost Support, instead.

Does anyone have any idea why/how this happens? My customer sign-up process is here: https://infclub.net/become-a-member/

A customer is created for logged in members before redirecting them to Stripe Checkout. It would seem that your members are reaching Stripe Checkout and then deciding not to pay for a subscription, resulting in the state you see here.

I suspected this, & I’ve tried to ‘mimic’ this using an alternate email, but I’ve been unable to figure out how this is physically possible without hitting Enter (with card details) on my Stripe checkout screen.

I hoping to create an auto-email for paid subscribers; I’m not sure this is possible now, as I don’t want non-subscribers who’ve reached Checkout to receive this email.

@egg, please can you tell me at exactly which point a customer is created for the logged-in member? Because I’ve been unable to manually trigger a customer creation myself.

It is created when a logged in member (without an existing subscription or customer in Ghost) is taken to Stripe Checkout - specifically it is created after the member initiates the requests and before the member is redirected to Stripe!

I’ve just tested this on the latest version of Ghost to confirm it!

Thanks Fabien! Yes, I see what’s happening now.

I’m going to speak to Stripe to see if this can be “turned off”. Appreciate your help!

4CE502F5D56544479EB3D6786CE5CD10.jpg
Jasraj (Jas)

about me

Maybe I didn’t explain this properly, but this isn’t a Stripe thing, this is how Ghost works, we manually create the Customer for the member if one doesn’t already exist, before redirecting them to the Checkout - this allows us to ensure that the member is linked to the correct Customer!

I hoping to create an auto-email for paid subscribers; I’m not sure this is possible now, as I don’t want non-subscribers who’ve reached Checkout to receive this email.

To solve your problem, you should be able to look at the stripe property of the member and see the subscriptions array, which’ll tell you if the member has a subscription to the site!

Oh, I see. Thank you for the clarification :pray:

I’m currently working with my developer to generate an auto-email or auto-redirect for my paid members… I just didn’t want those who have been generated but not completed checkout to receive this email/re-direct message… but hopefully this won’t be affected.