Stripe Tax and Ghost

Been playing around with Stripe Tax and Ghost memberships today.

Did setup Stripe Tax added that I would sell under a ‘Generally Taxable’ tax code, meaning that the VAT would change according to the home country of the member.

All this looks great. The ‘Ghost subscription’ product that Ghost created upon connecting lets me edit the tax code of the product(‘generally taxable’) with an exclusive price…so the VAT% will be added to the membership price.

But, in testing all this…it looks like the checkout page where Ghost connects to isn’t registering all this?

So in the end we have to work with the checkout page that Ghost gives us? Not possible to add VAT and a home address (different countries different VAT%, different US states, different tax %'s)

What am I missing? This is rather crucial for me and my business. Once I go over 10k of revenue(resident in the EU) I’ll have to declare VAT.

(another thing…when editing the ‘Ghost subscription’ product in Stripe it’s impossible to change the price of the subscription in the Ghost Dashboard, only way to do it is to reconnect…luckily I didn’t go live yet)

3 Likes

Hi! Did you manage to figure out how to make this work? I am hoping I can find someone who has a working Stripe Tax/Ghost Pro integration to prove it works before I start heading down that road…

1 Like

Hi,

This is the solution to steer clear of any issues and which is the easiest to implement as far as my knowledge goes…

If you want to implement paying members use Gumroad for that and send those paying members back into Ghost with Zapier (and tag them as paid members)

Gumroad will be the seller of record (not you) and they’ll be liable to cover the taxes.

Interesting solution, too bad they don’t work with Canada!

What I understand from the Stripe docs, the Ghost-Stripe integration is based on Checkout functionality from Stripe. This functionality requires a particular condition added to the code:

-d "automatic_tax[enabled]"="true" \

This is explained here:

Based on what I learnt from support, Stripe Tax is not “yet” supported by the integration, which I understand that basically this parameter is not set. If you’d like to change it, you would have to edit the Checkout integration, which requires self-hosted approach (not my case yet)… Does anyone know other option to do it?

My workaround for now:

1. When new subscriber comes, the Tax calculation parameter in Stripe is set to Manual
  2. Thus first invoice is without VAT tax - for this I issue an invoice manually (“overwritting” the Stripe original)
  3. I manually edit his/her subscription in Stripe - switching Tax calculation to Automatic
  4. All further invoices are correctly issued with Polish VAT (my case).

However this is not perfect (other workaround would be to export all monthly invoices and overwrite these in external invoicing tool…)

3 Likes