Support for Webmentions

Webmentions: https://alistapart.com/article/webmentions-enabling-better-communication-on-the-internet

Webmentions are an W3C spec that is a way to bring @-reply style communication to platforms outside of the typical social media platforms. They allow the publication of ‘responses’ across websites/publishing platforms, with support for notifications to the author of the original post, and ability to embed/extend information from the original post. I believe Ghost would benefit greatly from support them.

That new W3C standard can be really good. From the above link:

1. Alice has a website where she writes an article about her rocket engine hobby.
  2. Bob has his own website where he writes a reply to Alice’s article. Within his reply, Bob includes the permalink URL of Alice’s article.
  3. When Bob publishes his reply, his publishing software automatically notifies Alice’s server that her post has been linked to by the URL of Bob’s reply.
  4. Alice’s publishing software verifies that Bob’s post actually contains a link to her post and then (optionally) includes information about Bob’s post on her site; for example, displaying it as a comment.

A Webmention is simply an @mention that works from one website to another!

Seems similar to what WordPress does with pinbacks, but it has been abused a lot by spammers.

Not saying it’s not a good feature, but it needs to have some security measures in it to minimize spam.

Yes, but W3C’s webmentions seem safer than the old pingbacks, by using Vouch (something like “the friends of my friends are my friends too”). Pingback’s repentant inventor enabled webmentions on his static site.

I talked to one of the authors/contributors to the spec about a year ago and it sounded like it was getting interesting. However, I’m still yet to see a single compelling implementation of it - which IMO is the main thing holding it back.

I asked the authors last year if they had any examples or would be willing to build any prototype implementations in open source projects - but apparently that’s not a thing they do

Based on the ALA article linked above, it seems to have gained a bit of steam. Would still be interested in some more practical info/spec/docs/examples about specific use cases for how it could be used in Ghost, however.