The /content and /versions directories

Rather than ask for support on The Unrecommended (my lot, sadly), a question instead on what Ghost normally does:

Is the /content folder in the currently active version of Ghost a symlink to the content folder in the site root, or vice versa?

Knowing what the file structure should look like will help me to bridge the gap between How I Must Live and How It Should Be.

I’m simply over the moon that I can run Ghost at all in my current situation, and that’s thanks to the available options in ghost-cli. Thanks, and let me know if I can clarify further.

Hey there.

There is an explanation of the folder structure in the cli knowledgebase.

Wondering if that helps answer the question at all? Otherwise you might need to clarify - content isn’t a symlink, current is, and I’m not sure if it’s a typo or confusion or if I’m just missing the point of the question entirely :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This might just be it – I’ll give it a go this evening and follow up. Thanks loads for the quick reply.

You’re right, of course – naturally current should be (and is) a symlink to the currently active version’s folder. In my case 1.23.0

The blog is using the content directory inside 1.23.0, not the content directory which is a sibling of current. I thought perhaps the latter was just being mirrored to the former when ghost starts, but that doesn’t seem to be the case in tests I tried.

The blog does look fine at the front end and plays well with the users running web and mysql. But it’s a bit unsettling to have to delve into versions to affect changes to images and theme.

Perhaps systemd does something that I’m not getting the benefit of? My blog exists using this cli recipe:

ghost install --no-setup-linux-user --no-setup-nginx --no-setup-ssl --no-setup-systemd

I understand I’m skirting ‘not your problem’ territory but if you have ideas, I’m all ears :slight_smile:

@pjfdirect Hmm - did you install Ghost with the latest version of Ghost-CLI? If so, then you’re probably looking at a bug in Ghost-CLI. I’ll do some more investigation on my own to see if I can reproduce the issue.

$ ghost -v
Ghost-CLI version: 1.7.3

using that version of ghost-cli I just now updated from 1.23.0 to 1.23.1 and bam - suddenly the blog started expecting the content to be in the proper directory.

1. Thanks!
  2. should I also have a go at updating the cli?