Anyone interested in translating an official theme?

Hey all,

Two related questions:

1. For the Ghost dev team: Would a community effort to translate one of the official themes (maybe starting with Source) be useful, and more importantly, would you merge an eventual PR? I’d love to make a translated theme available to the folks on the starter plan.

2. To everyone: Is anyone in the community interested in contributing translations of one of the official themes? (I’d be inclined to do Source first, but if everyone is excited about something else, I’m flexible.) If the dev team is willing to take the translations on the official themes, that’d be awesome. If they aren’t, then we could still translate a fork of the theme, but it would require folks on Ghost Pro to have the Creator plan or higher.

7 Likes

Happy to contribute! Can help with code adjustments and the German translation

1 Like

Happy to join the efforts.

1 Like

Updating with some added info:

PRs to Source that included translation strings got declined last year. So perhaps that’s my answer to #1. (Reference: Make Source translatable by chibiribiri · Pull Request #18 · TryGhost/Source · GitHub)

That makes me sad if so, because it means that there’s no viable Starter plan option on Ghost Pro for non-English sites. :frowning:

There are multiple forks of Source already that wrap translation strings. The most up to date one I found (I think) was:
GitHub - SourceTheme-i18n/Source: The default theme for Ghost. That one’s last release corresponds to Source in April (missing the June update and the one yesterday), although it looks like there’s new activity yesterday on the 1.3.0 tag, so if people are interested in supporting a (non-official) Source translation, that’s probably the effort to join!

4 Likes

Use DeepL and DeepL Actions in Github ;)

I’m too sad, that Ghost won’t accept translations for the DEFAULT theme.

I’m the owner of Source-i18n on github. Because it seems nobody used it by now beside me, i stopped investing time in creating github releases for updates i made.

Happy to reinstate “normal” releases and also open to accept additional translations if anybody starts using it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh, hello! I wondered if the owner of the repo was here on the forum! :)

1 Like

created a new Source i18n theme release with additional fr, zh and zh-CN translattion.s

3 Likes

I did miss the 2 pull-requests due to not having enabled notifications. :frowning:

1 Like

@NinoBagatello I’ve submitted a PR with Scottish Gaelic and Irish translations.

3 Likes

Working on kz translation :ghost:

2 Likes

Brazilian Portuguese submitted.

2 Likes

@matribeiro awesome! Just created a new release that contains your translation.

1 Like

Hi,

For some project I just want to start with the Source-theme.
I know several commercial themes already implemented the translate though the handlebar helper.

I was wondering if someone already started this for the Source theme? Ifso, i’ll like to help.

I’m going to drop your question onto a recent discussion about translated forks of Source, @mulderfrank .

Thank you Cathy, missed this topic.

1 Like

Created pull request for Dutch @NinoBagatello
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Heyo everyone :wave:

We do want to start translating the official themes, but there’s a technical detail we want to iron out first.

Our theme i18n helper is based on some custom/in-house i18n code written before there were good libraries in Node.js. When we started adding i18n to Portal and other tools, we put together a new utility which works much the same way, but based on the node library i18next. The whole project was community driven, details here.

Before we start doing “official” theme translations, we need to switch the theme i18n code to use the new utility and we need to decide where to pull the strings from (theme, core, fallback).

If anyone is interested in helping get this over the line, that’d be grand, then we can kickstart getting all of our official themes translated!

5 Likes

Happy to jump in and contribute to get this done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Cathy_Sarisky I had translated Journal and Dope themes in french for my own use last year. Are you interested in publishing them somewhere ? I am not a dev and not familiar with Github so I am not sure how I should proceed to publish by myself.