Detecting A Non-Default Theme

If you’re looking for some help, it’s important to provide as much context as possible so that people are able to assist you. Try to always mention:

• What’s your URL? Running on localhost
  • What version of Ghost are you using? 3.11.0 ~ Latest Version
  • What configuration? Default - it’s a fresh install
  • What browser? Chrome
  • What errors or information do you see in the console? No errors in the console, however I get error 500 that ‘casper’ theme was not found but in that same folder I have a default theme. If I name it ‘casper’ it works smoothly. But how do I change the configuration to make it detect a different theme other than ‘casper’?
  • What steps could someone else take to reproduce the issue you’re having? Create a fresh install and change ‘casper’ theme name to something else.

Hey guys, so basically I am struggling with getting another theme loaded because it’s not called ‘casper’, where does one change the configuration for that?

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Have you tried uploading the theme from the admin panel? It should handle everything for you, and you can see how the themes folder changes after uploading :slight_smile:

But that won’t allow my changes in a dev environment to automatically update on my localhost. Is there a way to get Ghost to read automatically from the content folder?

Ghost does automatically read the content/themes directory to list the available themes. The reason I suggested uploading the zip file is because you mentioned having issues adding the theme. If the theme uploads with no problems, you can make changes to the theme in the folder it’s saved. However, if it doesn’t, you should get some debug information so we can work to fix any issues :wink:

Yea, I appreciate your help. It was my bad at explaining. So, basically what I have done is, I cloned a github repo that I am working on and linked the contents (mklink) to a clean ghost local install done in a separate folder. However, I am getting the error 500 even though there is definitely a theme there. Any suggestions?

Where did you create the link?

Instead of the ghost install local contents, I used my own contents which has my own theme

So you’re replacing the contents of content/themes/capser with the contents of your theme?

The whole contents folder, so that would be content/

Aah, that’s why… Your theme should live in content/themes/{name}!

Ah, I already have that done though. It’s inside my content folder. Just the same way the path is but for some reason Ghost is unable to read it.