From time to time, we can see a post on the forums comparing the different hosting provider’s options. Since we launch back in May 2019, I felt it was a good opportunity to share eight reasons you might consider our hosting solution.
1) Homepage : A big feature we offer over our competitors is the ability to host your custom homepage along with your Ghost site . This is NOT an ‘enterprise’ feature. Two example
a) Your domain structure could look like:
b) or if you prefer, you could set up your domain this way as well:
In this case, you have to be aware that it means that you are responsible to design your custom homepage (HTML, CSS, JS). FirePress is not a website builder after all. In the future, we will offer templates that are easy to customize but we can’t provide a timeline at the moment.
2) Migration : You will be able to export/import your content from the ‘labs’ sections.
For the images, you will need to request them from your existing hosting provider as users can’t export them. It’s something we do all the time.
If you like to get some black Friday deals, DM me before December 15th 2020, and I’ll migrate your existing site for free and I’ll give you a 15% off your annual plan. Make sure to link back to this post when DMing me.
3) Security : We manage the whole backend for you. Our servers run on Linux OS, highly available (HA) configurations, CDN, Docker that orchestrate services (containers), load balancer, CI/CD automation, zero-downtime deployments and other DevOps best-practices.
- Automatic SSL (https).
- DDoS attack mitigation.
- Automatic weekly updates.
- Automatic daily backup. Backups are encrypted and transferred outside our servers cluster (cold storage). We back up your database every four hours and we back up your whole Ghost installation (pictures, themes, database) every 24 hours.
- Threat & uptime management with an SLA of 99.999%. This represents 26 sec per month or 5m15 per year of potential downtime. See our uptime status dashboard.
4) We eat our own « Ghost food » : Our payment system is the one built-in with Ghost. In other words, we don’t have a crazy fancy website that showcases things you can’t do. At FirePress, what you see, is what you can do.
5) play-with-ghost : play-with-ghost.com is a playground made by us to explore Ghost by using it and feel it. What’s remarkable here, is that you have the option to log in to the admin panel of our demo sites. In short, you can try Ghost on the spot without having to sign-up for a trial! Use these dummy credentials: firstname.lastname@example.org | firepress1
6) Forum : I’m personally very active on the Ghost forums. I like to help people that are within the Ghost ecosystem regardless they are clients are not. In other words, I am here for the long term.
7) Transparent backlog : we share publicly what we are working on our public Trello board.
8) Open-source : We contribute to the open-source space as well. Here are a few interesting git repos we maintain:
One last thing… be careful when someone states “no other competitor can do X”. It’s probably not true :-p
Please let me know if you have other questions!
Pascal Andy — Founder