Failed to send magic link / Configuration with Zoho

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Ghost configuration. I want Ghost to send transactional mails with ZohoMail. I get the error: Failed to send magic link.
Failed to load resource - members/api/send-magic-link/

My config.production.json looks like this:

“mail”: {
“from”: “no-reply@xx.de”,
“transport”: “SMTP”,
“options”: {
“service”: “ZohoMail”,
“host”: “smtp.zoho.eu”,
“port”: 587,
“secure”: false,
“requireTLS”: true,
“auth”: {
“user”: “no-reply@xx.de”,
“pass”: “xxx”
}
}
},

I also get following from the logs:
“code”:“EAUTH”,“name”:“EmailError”,“statusCode”:500,“level” :“normal”,“message”:“Failed to send email. Reason: Invalid login: 535 Authentica tion Failed.”,“help”:“"Please see Configuration - Adapt your publication to suit your needs for instr uctions on configuring email."”,“stack”:“Error: Invalid login: 535 Authenticati on Failed\n at createMailError (/var/www/ghost/versions/5.54.0/core/server/se rvices/mail/GhostMailer.js:68:12)\n at SMTPConnection._formatError (/var/www/ ghost/versions/5.54.0/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:790:1 9)\n at SMTPConnection._actionAUTHComplete (/var/www/ghost/versions/5.54.0/no de_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:1542:34)\n at SMTPConnecti on. (/var/www/ghost/versions/5.54.0/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp- connection/index.js:546:26)\n at SMTPConnection._processResponse (/var/www/gh ost/versions/5.54.0/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:953:20) \n at SMTPConnection._onData (/var/www/ghost/versions/5.54.0/node_modules/nod emailer/lib/smtp-connection/index.js:755:14)\n at SMTPConnection._onSocketDat a (/var/www/ghost/versions/5.54.0/node_modules/nodemailer/lib/smtp-connection/in dex.js:193:44)\n at TLSSocket.emit (node:events:513:28)\n at addChunk (nod e:internal/streams/readable:324:12)\n at readableAddChunk (node:internal/stre ams/readable:297:9)\n at Readable.push (node:internal/streams/readable:234:10 )\n at TLSWrap.onStreamRead (node:internal/stream_base_commons:190:23)”,“hide Stack”:false},“msg”:“Failed to send email. Reason: Invalid login: 535 Authentica tion Failed.”,“time”:“2023-07-08T15:10:00.949Z”,“v”:0}

The strange thing is, that I can send staff invitation links and password forget for the admin via the Ghost Admin page. But Sign-in and Registration is throwing the failed to send magic link error.

Sending Mails with swaks is working without a problem.

My Ghost version is the latest from GitHub.

I would appreciate any help!

Best Regards

1 Like

Given that the error says “authentication failed”, either your authentication failed, or ZoHo is lying, possibly because they were temporarily down.

If the configuration seems to be working for some mesesage and not other, either all the messages aren’t going out as transnational email, or there’s an intermittent problem on Zoho’s end that causes them to sometime return that error.