Failed to sign up, please try again

This is what I get when I try to sign up using the portal.

I have self-hosted using Digital Ocean Droplet.

Tried recreating the droplet many times. Doesn’t work.

I also verified the private API key from mailgun.

URL: http://blog.keyurkumbhare.com/

I’m using ghost 4.0

Please help me out!

Thanks,
Keyur

1 Like

I was able to sign up and verify on your site using a 10minutemail account. Can you share any errors in your browser console?

Hi everyone!

Thanks for making a fantastic piece of software, I’m a huge fan.

I am having the same problem. I’m using a Digital Ocean Droplet and recently updated my instance to 4.1.0, but the problem was also happening on 4.0.1.

I have set the mailgun API key both in the admin UI and also in production config file. I have also forced using SSL in mailgun API settings. I restarted the app after updating settings.

You will see that GET to members/api/member/ responds with 'Cookie ghost-members-ssr not found`
And POST to https://newsletter.nazdalniaku.pl/members/api/send-magic-link/ results in Internal Server Error.

My “Allow free member signup” setting is enabled.

Let me know if you need more details!

URL: https://newsletter.nazdalniaku.pl/

{
“name”: “Log”,
“hostname”: “nazdalniaku-newsletter”,
“pid”: 8817,
“level”: 50,
“err”: {
“id”: “31512e90-88ee-11eb-baa3-c3a17c117235”,
“domain”: “…”,
“code”: “ERR_SSL_WRONG_VERSION_NUMBER”,
“name”: “EmailError”,
“statusCode”: 500,
“level”: “normal”,
“message”: “Failed to send email. Reason: 140296814708608:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:…/deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/ssl3_record.c:332:\n.”,
“help”: “"Please see Configuration - Adapt your publication to suit your needs for instructions on configuring email."”,
“stack”: “EmailError: Failed to send email. Reason: 140296814708608:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:…/deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/ssl3_record.c:332:\n.\n at EmailError.GhostError (/var/www/ghost/versions/4.1.0/node_modules/@tryghost/errors/lib/errors.js:10:26)\n at new EmailError (/var/www/ghost/versions/4.1.0/node_modules/@tryghost/errors/lib/errors.js:34:20)\n at createMailError (/var/www/ghost/versions/4.1.0/core/server/services/mail/GhostMailer.js:52:12)\n at MailComposer.returnCallback (/var/www/ghost/versions/4.1.0/core/server/services/mail/GhostMailer.js:95:28)\n at SMTPConnectionPool._onConnectionError (/var/www/ghost/versions/4.1.0/node_modules/simplesmtp/lib/pool.js:334:17)\n at SMTPClient.emit (events.js:315:20)\n at SMTPClient.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:482:12)\n at SMTPClient._onError (/var/www/ghost/versions/4.1.0/node_modules/simplesmtp/lib/client.js:373:10)\n at TLSSocket.emit (events.js:315:20)\n at TLSSocket.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:482:12)\n at emitErrorNT (internal/streams/destroy.js:92:8)\n at emitErrorAndCloseNT (internal/streams/destroy.js:60:3)\n at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:84:21)\n\nError: 140296814708608:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:…/deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/ssl3_record.c:332:\n”
},
“msg”: “Failed to send email. Reason: 140296814708608:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:…/deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/ssl3_record.c:332:\n.”,
“time”: “2021-03-19T20:03:37.596Z”,
“v”: 0
}

Wojtek

Hi everyone,

For anyone else who finds this thread, I was able to fix it.

In my case, I had to remove
"secureConnection": true,

from the production config.

P.S. I LOVE Ghost and you all are doing such an awesome job!!! You rock :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Wojtek

2 Likes

Hey this is great to see that you fixed it. I am having the same error. Set up all the API with Mailgun and everything.

So is this a safe/secure fix? What will this do technically?

Which file is this?

I’m encountering the same issue. Is there an alternative to removing “secureConnection”: true," from the config file? Perhaps a setting somewhere in Mailgun?

The documentation is incorrect. Instead of ‘secureConnection’, put ‘secure’ and the value should be false.

@nbomberger Thank you. But does the value need to be false? Is there a way to enable the secure connection? I’m not exactly what the benefit/s of doing so are, but I assume there are some?

It will use a secure connection. Make sure the port is 587, which will trigger (SSL,TLS).
This is a bug in my opinion and a horribly documented solution, but you should be secure.

Totally weird, right? This is my understanding at least.

@nbomberger Sorry Nathaniel, something still isn’t clear to me. If we want it to be secure, we need to make sure the port is 587 and use:

"secure": true,

Is that right? And could you explain what the bug is? (Unless it’s an exploitable bug, in which case please don’t explain it here on the public forum, of course.)

Thanks!

THIS IS A BUG.

IF YOU WANT IT TO WORK SET IT TO secure false and port 587. Ignore what seems logical and do it. all done and you are good. Ignore the logic and just do it. Go ahead and test it to see that port 587 uses SSL/TLS.

It is stupid but it works.

"secure": true - opens a connection immediately with SSL, this is failing in some cases because the default ciphers that connection is opened with are not compatible with the service that you’re connecting to

"secure": false - opens a non-secure connection then uses TLS to negotiate a valid cipher before switching to a secure connection to complete the email sending. Typically you’ll need to use port 587 for this as it’s the standard port for secure TLS connections, some providers may vary though

It’s important to note that both options are secure. There is no “bug”, just standard configuration options.

You can read more about it in the docs https://nodemailer.com/smtp/#tls-options