Ghost Email customization

Dear Ghost team,

you are all doing an amazing job, and we all love Ghost :slight_smile:

Still, in different threads I read about the necessity for email customization which I painfully noticed myself now.

We definitely need:

• Translation of transactional emails
  • Design customization of transactional emails

The members feature you provide is amazing, but to build a real business model around it, we need to option to modify it as we have so many options to modify Ghost.

I enter this here in the ideas section to get votes, and link other threads:

Thank you and warm regards
Sebastian

24 Likes

I think this is very important, at least the translation of these emails.

1 Like

It would be great to be able to write our own html and then use handlebars to pull in data, similar to how we do with the normal theming.

4 Likes

Hi,

you can edit the 3 templates for the transactional emails called:
signin.js
signup.js
subscribe.js

path:
/var/www/ghost/versions/3.15.3/core/server/services/members/emails/*

Note: Those are core files and will be overwritten on ghost updates (so make backups)

EDIT: restart ghost after editing the files

3 Likes

I have changed them, then tested a sign up and the changes have not taken effect. The files are showing correctly on the server.

Hi @Izak_Jackson,

have you restarted ghost?

That worked, thanks

1 Like

we need translations!

1 Like

My particular need is in customisation of actual “newsletter” emails (ie emails that come from posts). Is this considered also a vote for that, or is it worth starting a separate idea? Is there an easy way to edit the email newsletter template? Will there be? - #8 by Malhar_Mali

1 Like

Can you do this if Ghost is hosting your site or only with a self hosted implementation?

Hi @trevor,

i’m afraid that’s only possible for self-hosted solutions, as you don’t have access to core files on a hosted ghost installation

I am shocked that an open source project that allows view and css customization doesn’t allow custom email templates. I was just assuming that Ghost would allow customization, which is the whole reason I went with Ghost vs Substack.

2 Likes

That would be a bigger feature in terms of interface design etc. You can change them. But for now you have to edit the raw .js files to do it.

As with many things ghost, this platform is not for beginners, some knowledge of webdev is required IMO.

A post was split to a new topic: Email settings on Ghost(Pro)

I updated the files, restarted ghost, however the actual title of the emails did not update. In the inbox they are still in English, is there a string I missed? The body is translated except the subject line coming in.

It can be updated to votation or I can proceed with a new post?

At the moment I forked Ghost to translate the e-mails (they are crucial for engaging new customers) but I don’t know how to keep my self-hosted instance in line with that :slight_smile:

So, an official update could be awesome.

Hi! This works for me, but for 5.72, its located at /var/lib/ghost/versions/5.72.0/core/server/services/members/emails/signup.js. (and I’m running this on docker)

Question: How can you change the email subject title? I changed the html title but it didn’t change the email subject.