Ghost Login (Bad Request) post update to v5.1.1

I am unable to login to ghost.

Admin page shows error BAD REQUEST and not login area.

LOG:

Jun 1 02:50:58 AM [2022-05-31 21:20:58] ERROR “GET /ghost/” 400 7ms
Jun 1 02:50:58 AM
Jun 1 02:50:58 AM Unable to find admin template file /var/lib/ghost/versions/4.48.0/core/server/web/admin/views/default-prod.html
Jun 1 02:50:58 AM IncorrectUsageError: Unable to find admin template file /var/lib/ghost/versions/4.48.0/core/server/web/admin/views/default-prod.html
Jun 1 02:50:58 AM These template files are generated as part of the build process
Jun 1 02:50:58 AM Please see Ghost Docs
Jun 1 02:50:58 AM “These template files are generated as part of the build process”
Jun 1 02:50:58 AM “Please see Ghost Docs
Jun 1 02:50:58 AM Error ID:
Jun 1 02:50:58 AM 902cc4f0-e127-11ec-ae8c-1dbd403a9cc7
Jun 1 02:50:58 AM ----------------------------------------

This is after updating to new version through Ghost CLI

The error suggests your instance is loading v4.48.0 for some reason. Are you sure the 5.0.0 update completed with no errors?

1 Like

Yes it is loading v4.48.0 even though 5.0.0 update completed. There seems to something missing and this is why Login page returns Bad request error.

May I please bump this? I’ve been experimenting on getting Ghost 5 to run on hosted Plesk webserver. I’ve made great progress. The app installs (via Yarn) on Node 16.19.0. The setup script creates all the database tables as expected. If I go to the domain, the default Casper theme loads successfully (incidentally, it’s missing from the downloaded zip file - I had to manually put the files there before running Yarn). All the theme links seems to work. Woo hoo, right!?

But if I try to navigate to https://domainname/ghost, I get the 500 error. I’m SO CLOSE. What can I do to get over the finish line??

EDIT: I can even successfully subscribe to my not-yet admin-enabled ghost instance!

An update: I check the production error log and found this:

"Unable to find admin template file /var/www/vhosts/DOMAIN.org/blog.DOMAIN.org/ghost/core/core/built/admin/index.html","context":"\"These template files are generated as part of the build process\"","help":"\"Please see https://ghost.org/docs/install/source/

I confirmed that these files were not built during the install process. So in addition to the default Casper theme issue (not included in the downloaded ghost.zip file), the installation process somehow doesn’t built out the admin stuff. Is this a bug of some kind?

No, it sounds like you’re not installing Ghost but instead pulling in/downloading the npm module (or raw source zip from GitHub?) and trying to run that. Proper installation steps can be found here:

1 Like

In fact, I did download the source zip from Github. Plesk has built-in Node.js support. You configure it by supplying the information necessary to build the project. For example:

At this point, all you have to do is click the “Yarn Install” button in Plesk and the appropriate dependencies from the package.json file are pulled and installed on the server. When you restart the server and navigate to the web page, the database is initialized as expected…

Once this is done, if I navigate to the webroot for the ghost blog, everything loads as expected:

But if I navigate to /ghost to login…

I’m at a lost to understand why everything except the admin stuff is built. When I go to the directory in question in the prod error log to find this file:

/ghost/core/core/server/web/admin/views/default-prod.html

This is the entire contents of the directory.

From what I can tell, this is the only thing that wasn’t properly built out. Does this provide any pointers?

That’s just a copy of the raw source, it’s not an installable version of Ghost. You’ll need to follow the instructions in the link I provided above.

1 Like

Unless Plesk offers root access, I don’t think the recommended Ghost install script will work.

I’m very confused. I already host two blogs on Plesk using their NodeJS support using an older version of Ghost with more or less this same process I’ve posted in this thread. I’m not sure how the install guide will help me at this point.

And everything seems to be working just fine with Ghost 5 except this bit where the admin component is missing. The database is populated and the server is running. I know Ghost is packaged differently now than it was with the version is used on the two blogs that are functioning perfectly.

I sounds like Kevin is saying the vanilla download from git is missing install logic as opposed to following the bouncing ball of their INSTALL instructions …

Did you end up finding a fix for the issue you had?