Help translate Ghost (beta)

Hello! I wanna help with pt-br language! :)

hi @daniellockyer … sorry. this is more coding than actual word translation? silly question i know but … LOL

1 Like

I’m still waiting for this translation to start a new newsletter in Brazil. ;-;

Hi, guys, this is looking great, very promising.

However, I am trying to use pt-br (Portuguese from Brazil) translations, but I keep getting pt (Portuguese from Portugal), which is somewhat different. I tried to wrap it up on quotes, but still the same result. I think it might be some issue with the hyphen (I also tried without it).

There is a pt-br translation in Github, and it looks fine to me.

Did some of you had a similar issue?

Captura de Tela 2023-05-14 às 10.36.09

Hello, I have problems with sign-up mails. I am using the czech language - cs. The subject of email is translated, but the body is in English. Is somebody facing the same problem?

Have you set your language to the appropriate language code? It does appear that there are Czech translations available, looking here: Ghost/ghost/i18n/locales/cs at main · TryGhost/Ghost · GitHub

Hello I provided the Traditional Chinese translation in this PR: feat(i18n): provide traditional chinese support by imgarylai · Pull Request #16786 · TryGhost/Ghost · GitHub

Thank you

Fill out the following bug report template with as much detail as possible!

Are you sure this is a bug? If you just need help, post in the developer help category. If it’s a feature request, head to the ideas category.

Issue Summary

• Explain roughly what’s wrong

Error messages are not translated.

• What did you expect to happen?
    The error messages should be translated into locale zh.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Change to i18n locale zh.
  2. Click “Sign in”.
  3. Input an non-exists email.

Setup information

I use Ghost docker image the latest tag.

Need Help

I can add these translation myself. I’ve done some tests but none of them worked.
I’ve found issues in github about i18n project. I’ve known the basic code about the i18n project.

I’ve found the code below. I’ve also known the function tpl should have the ability of i18n from issue https://github.com/TryGhost/Ghost/issues/13380.

throw new errors.BadRequestError({
                message: this._allowSelfSignup() ? tpl(messages.memberNotFoundSignUp) : tpl(messages.memberNotFound)
            });

so I add the translation to @tryghost/i18n/locales/zh/portal.json, @tryghost/i18n/locales/zh/ghost.json, @tryghost/i18n/locales/zh/common.json, and themes/capser/locales/zh.json. All of them failed.

So i want to know how to make the function tpl work with i18n ability.

Hello,

I have the same problem with french
it seems all e-mails are translated (ex: magic link to relog), but for the first sign-up email (email confirmation), the e-mail subject is translated but not the content of the email (see image below)

Had a look on github, french translation looks ok to me

Hi all! :wave: An update on i18n:

We’ve now wrapped all public-facing strings in Portal + member signup/signin emails in Ghost with the translations helper. As a result, there are a few more strings in each of the JSON files which you can now submit a PR for with the translations. I’ll try to keep on top of reviewing and merging these in a timely fashion :slightly_smiling_face:

The changes to the Ghost member emails went out in v5.49.1 (last Friday) and we aim to ship the Portal changes in this Friday’s release.

Just a note on releases + availability of the translations: Portal is released separately to Ghost, and sometimes we forget to ship a new version before the Ghost release, so new/updated translations in GitHub may take a week or two to appear in new releases :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for all the help so far - we’re up to 33 languages already :tada:

2 Likes

Hey !

Thanks for the update ! Now the email is in french but the preview is still in english (see below)

That’s because the translation hasn’t been done yet: Ghost/ghost.json at 99798ad06ba4f6b967352c7f9b4ba425b74e98ca · TryGhost/Ghost · GitHub

However, there is a PR to do so: Complete french translations by Mysterious-Dev · Pull Request #16870 · TryGhost/Ghost · GitHub

1 Like

This was solved in the last update v5.49.3

Hello

You have cool project, and I think this part of it would benefit greatly if you put it on Crowdin. They are translation service which allow free translations for open source projects.
I’m contributing to one such project.
Think about it. Everything’s automated there, so you wouldn’t have to constantly update all repos,
just add strings for English and other translators would easily take care of rest.

Thank you very much for presenting such a system to us. I request that the comment section be added as soon as possible. For example, I use Turkish, because the comment section is in English, it is not good for users. I would be very happy if you add the comment system as a priority feature. Since the portal part is in the background and users cannot see it, it is not in a hurry, so the comment part is visible to everyone, so it is more important to do it. Thanks again.

2 Likes

It’s really a great job and I thank you for all your efforts!

Will the comment section be available in translation soon?

That’s the last thing that’s bothering me.

Thank you

2 Likes

Guys. We need to translate Ghost Free theme as well!

1 Like

Oddly, the translation seems to be working partially for me. Some words are translated, like Name or Monthly/Yearly, but the words Free, Thing, and Continue are not translated on my portal. I don’t understand why.

Research bar could also be translated !

Sounds like the translation might not be complete for your language. Can you help fix it? :)