I just bought the 'Web Hosting Plus' plan on IONOS

How do I get started with installing ghost on it?

It would assist those who offer help to provide a little more information about the hosting package. However, if it is Linux hosting with MySQL (not MariaDB), and meets the minimum requirement for running Ghost below, follow the official guide.

Note that installing packages, e.g., Node, or setting up a database may vary, depending on the host. Ideally, you should purchase a compatible VPS.

Prerequisites

The officially recommended production installation requires the following stack:

• Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04 or Ubuntu 22.04
  • NGINX (minimum of 1.9.5 for SSL)
  • A supported version of Node.js
  • MySQL 8
  • Systemd
  • A server with at least 1GB memory
  • A registered domain name

Before getting started you should set up a working DNS A-Record from you domain, pointing to the server’s IP address. This must be done in advance so that SSL can be configured during setup.

I have ssh’d into the server.

I do not have root access and therefore cannot run commands. Does this mean i cannot use this server for ghost installation?

Cancel it and use your 30-day money back guarantee, you can not run Ghost self-hosted on this package. You need a Virtual Private Server and shell/SSH access, and some basic Linux sysadmin skills.

With IONOS this is the service you want… VPS Hosting Plans | Starting at $2/mo | IONOS

1 Like

Thank you very much. Just cancelled.

Can you recommend any other cheap VPS providers? Thanks.

I use Hetzner, but have previously used both Digital Ocean and Linode. Remember, you need at least 1 GB memory.

I’m using Hostinger for VPS, if you want another option. When I priced things out last year, they were running a good sale and had a huge discount for a multi-year commitment, so it was a great price. I haven’t compared since.