Images not visible in amazon link cards

• naturanovit.net
  • I use ghost pro, so assuming it’s the latest version
  • Using the casper theme 4.1.1

I’m trying to include third party links in my post, including some amazon affiliate links. Here it is: Site unavailable

(amazon link on the bottom)

I just copied and pasted the links in the editor. For most non-amazon sites, you can see that the links auto-formatted to look quite nice, including an image. Their height is capped, etc.

However, the amazon links look terrible. No image, and some of them extend vertically way too far.

Amazon links are some of the most common on the internet. I can’t imagine I’m the only one with this problem.

How can I format the links to look good?

FWIW, the same thing happens with non-affiliate amazon links.

Any update on this? Having the same issue with Amazon links. Would be awesome if there was an actual Amazon Widget or something…

1 Like

I’ll add a ‘me too’ here.

So this looks like an Amazon failure to set meta content correctly. If you view source, here’s what’s generating the content:

<link rel="canonical" href="https://www.amazon.com/Huasco-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil/dp/B08G5B1JDL" />
<meta name="description" content="Amazon.com : Extra Virgin Olive Oil by HUASCO |First Cold Press - From Chile, 33.8 Fl Oz (1000 Ml) : Grocery &amp; Gourmet Food" />
<meta name="title" content="Amazon.com : Extra Virgin Olive Oil by HUASCO |First Cold Press - From Chile, 33.8 Fl Oz (1000 Ml) : Grocery &amp; Gourmet Food" />

Conspicuously missing is an image link to be used by search engines.

1 Like

Amazon is notoriously bad at making consistent data available and they change their markup constantly across different products.

Ghost’s embed service uses metascraper to fetch the details for the bookmark cards. However we don’t currently use the metascraper-amazon package because when we first implemented the bookmark card that package produced worse results than just the standard packages. There’s a long-running issue in the metascraper-amazon package for improving Amazon image fetches.

Any PRs to Ghost or the upstream packages that improve the Amazon situation are very welcome :pray:

3 Likes

Any updates? I am also having trouble with amazon links.