I seem to have gotten myself into a fairly expensive pickle and I would really appreciate any help y’all can give me on how to get out of it.
I suspect the problem started because I have two Ghost newsletters — the Obsidian Roundup and The Iceberg. Both are running v4.12.1 with mysql database. I have both set up on Digital Ocean. I used the one-click installer for the Obsidian Roundup, but the Iceberg is on the same droplet as my Wordpress installation. I think this is unlikely to be the issue, but if you need more information about how that was set up, I’ll get my husband (a pro backend developer and the only reason I’ve dared to self-host Ghost) to explain it to me again.
I don’t have any errors in the console that I’m aware of; when I logged in via PuTTy to update I didn’t see any errors. I’m using Chrome but that seems irrelevant.
OK, now for the problem I’m having:
The Obsidian Roundup was the first Ghost newsletter I ever set up. I linked it to my stripe account, with the product being “Obsidian Roundup.” The pricing is $1 monthly, $10 yearly. I’ve confirmed that there’s a green “connected to stripe” button and Ghost reports 224 paid members, 1,979 total members, with a MRR of $239.
When I set up The Iceberg, I used the same account (Eleanorkonik), the product being “The Iceberg” with pricing set to $2 / $20. In retrospect this was a horrible mistake, but I don’t see any way to change it without unsubscribing all of my subscribers, which I am reluctant to do without asking for an alternative first, because Ghost reports a MRR of $107 and 99 paid members.
The problem I’m having is that Stripe has completely different numbers.
Stripe reports 32 active subscriptions for the Iceberg (MRR $41.28) and 207 active subscriptions for the Obsidian Roundup (MRR $188.61). So from what I can tell there’s at least a hundred dollars “missing” and a bunch of people who signed up for the Iceberg who … maybe didn’t get charged at all?
When I compare the actual payments, looking at the log on the dashboard, I can see individual people creating subscriptions in Ghost that sometimes (but not all the time) never appear in Stripe. At other times, the numbers are off — I see subscribers to The Iceberg getting charged the price for the Obsidian Roundup and both Ghost and Stripe report the numbers for a $1 payment instead of a $2 payment. It almost feels like there’s some kind of race condition happening? I filed a report with the people at Stripe but it’s been a couple of days and I’m pretty sure you guys would want to know too, if only to warn other unsuspecting people that running two different newsletters with the same Stripe “account” can be dangerous. The problem isn’t that it suddenly “stopped” working, it’s just… intermittent.
Anyway, I’ve shared a bunch of screenshots with @DonaldH (as a sanity check to make sure I wasn’t missing anything obvious as I tried to track down the discrepancy — Donald if I failed to include anything here that I shared with you and you think would be relevant, please feel free to add to this) and will happily redact any screenshots necessary to sanity check things like “gross v. net” and “are you sure you’re on the right account,” but I think the problem is that I have two ghost installations connected to the same stripe account (which I imagine not many people do) and I don’t know how to fix this without literally unsubscribing all of my subscribers, which I’m reluctant to do for obvious reasons.
Thank you for reading. I did my best to dig up and share all the relevant information I have, but I’m happy to explain more if necessary. I know it’s not really a “repro step” or a traditional bug report, sorry.