Is there a way to edit the name associated with the From: address of newsletter emails?

The email From: address inherits the name of the blog, but we would like that to have the name of the newsletter instead.

Well, I feel that we have two choices, but i am wondering whether there is a better third one.

• Hardcode the desired name in the sources. (Which might be problematic when we upgrade)
  • Create a second instance of Ghost that only has the newsletter (which is pretty impractical)

Do you have a better alternative for me?

And

• Installed with ghost-cli
  • node 12.1 Database mysql

Let me word it clearly here. I always get emails from Apparent Blog noreply@letter.apparent.today.
I was wondering whether I can change “Apparent Blog” to something other than the Title of the blog.

/var/www/ghost/config.production.json - You can access these files on your server and make the changes accordingly.

},
  "mail": {
    "from": "'Dinakar from Coulf' <postmaster@mg.YourMailgunEmailDomain.com>",

This lets me send “Dinakar from Coulf” as the sender name.

But isn’t the email configured in the json the transactional email? I am referring to the Bulk email, which is configured through the GUI, Labs->Members->Email Config.

Can I do the same thing there, by single Quoting the new name and getting the email within brackets <>?

There was a whole discussion of this issue here. I’m not sure if it ever got resolved.

I don’t think you can single quote the name and use email in brackets in the GUI.

1 Like

This didn’t work for me - have started a new topic here.

I hard coded this. You want to edit line 74 in mailgun.js.

The original file looks like this:

messageData = {
            to: Object.keys(recipientData),
            'h:Reply-To': message.replyTo || message.reply_to,
            subject: messageContent.subject,
            html: messageContent.html,
            text: messageContent.plaintext,
            'recipient-variables': recipientData
        };

You want it to look like this

messageData = {
            to: Object.keys(recipientData),
            'h:Reply-To': message.replyTo || message.reply_to,
            subject: messageContent.subject,
            html: messageContent.html,
            text: messageContent.plaintext,
            'recipient-variables': recipientData
        };
1 Like

I just want to add here that not being able to set a separate ‘From’ name for the newsletter out of the box sharply limits the sorts of things you can call the newsletter. For example, maybe I’m thinking of starting a site called Weird Obsessions. That’s an okay name for a blog, and if I see entries under Weird Obsessions in my feed reader I will happily read them.

If I get an email in my inbox that says it’s from Weird Obsessions rather than an actual person’s name I am just not going to want to read that message. That’s not how people relate to email. This Discourse forum is not set up that way either; if I get an email notification about a message in the forum it doesn’t show up in my inbox as a message from ‘Ghost Forum’, it’s as a message from ‘[Username] via Ghost Forum’.

This worked for me, thanks!