Changing the "from" in newsletter emails

Hi!

I’m wondering if there is any way to change how emails appear in people’s inboxes, specifically if the “from” can appear as something less technical. Is it possible to have simply the name of the ghost account appear? Instead of “noreply”?

I’m assuming this is just how the system works, but wanted to check with the community. Thanks!

1 Like

You can change your newsletter email addresses from Settings → Email → Email Addresses. Read more: Setting up memberships & subscriptions

From here you can enter any email address that you own. You will need to verify by clicking a confirmation so make sure it’s an address you receive email to.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I cannot find this option when self-hosting. Been trying to implement a “from” that is different from “noreply@mydomain.com” for a couple of weeks now. Changing the “from” under “mail” in my config file has not had any effect. Is this possible at all when self-hosting?

1 Like

You can use a custom from address for email newsletters when self-hosting. However, in order to use the email newsletter feature, you’ll need to configure your site for bulk email sending using Mailgun.

Here’s some links with further information:

Hi ~Kym, thanks for replying. I have done both of that - set up my mailgun for bulk email and added the SMPT settings as per docs with a “from” part. I’ve read the docs multiple times and followed all steps. Ghost still sends all newsletter (bulk) emails from noreply@domain.com

There used to be the option to set the “from” in Labs in a previous Ghost version (see How to change mailto email in Ghost Portal - #2 by vikaspotluri123). Seems like that got removed.

When you enter a new from address in Ghost Admin, you have to confirm this address by clicking a confirmation email in your inbox - to confirm that you give permission to send bulk mail from this address. The from address won’t update until you click this confirmation.

There is no option to enter a new from address in Ghost admin though… or I really cannot find it. I am self-hosting.

On the latest version of Ghost, it’s in Settings > Email Newsletter, and then you click on the relevant newsletter to find all of the settings including email addresses. If you’re running an older version of Ghost it may be in a different location - but I’d recommend updating if that’s the case :)

1 Like

Omg thank you. I don’t know if it had always been there but I had never realised I could click on a newsletter. Finally! Sometimes things in Ghost are quite unintuitive to me :sweat_smile: