Issue to translate a theme

Hello everyone !

I’ve recently subscribed to Ghost (Pro). I want to translate a theme, Solo (Themes/packages/solo at main · TryGhost/Themes · GitHub) in French.

I’ve read the documentation hereby Ghost Handlebars Theme Helpers: translate in order to translate the theme.

However, I’m coming across the following difficulty :
→ I cannot locate the text Strings I want to update in the Theme Folder
→ For instance, following the article, I am supposed to locate in a .hbs file this “Subscribe” button associated to data portal signup.

→ I’ve looked for it in basically every file of the theme folder but I cannot find it.

I don’t think that the issue is specific to this theme, because I’ve loooked into other mainstream theme and was unable to find “simple” text elements.

Thanks a lot for your help, I like a lot Ghost but I need to translate it so that French people have a better experience with it :smiling_face_with_tear:

Those files need to be created, which means you need to create the locales folder in your theme and then create the French language file.

However, if you’re just looking to translate the theme into French, then you could just translate the text in the theme directly and skip using the translate helper altogether.

Thanks a lot for your answer Ryan.

Actually, I am just looking to translate the theme into French.

However, when looking into the folders, I don’t find all the English text I want to translate.

For instance, I would like to translate the homepage so that it’s fully in French. But I didn’t manage to find “Home” or “About” or “Sign in” or “Subscribe” despite looking into every .hbs / .json.

Awesome. Then, you’ll need to create that folder and files!

For the About, Home, etc., those are set in Ghost Admin under SettingsNavigation. They’re totally definable by the user and don’t need a translation.

Thanks a lot for the answer !

Okay I was able to update about and home quite easily.

For the rest of the homepage, is there a way to update easily “Subscribe” and “Sign in” :

I understand that it’s do-able by creating a customized homepage but it would imply recreating a whole theme.

I’ve found a way to translate Sign in and Subscribe on the top right through code injection ! :partying_face:

Now to make it perfectly French, the only thing remaining is to translate the sign up and sign in form that show up whenever you click on Sign in or Subscribe.

Is there an easy way to do it or must I go through customization of this two screens / forms ?