Jekyll + Ghost?

Thanks to the Gatsby starter theme, I have a fair idea of what to do if I want to use Gatsby.js as my front end. I’m wondering if I could do the same thing with Jekyll instead.

I think I can still run a normal ghost install, put it on private and use the content API from the integrations tab. Where would you use the content API in jekyll though?

Would be great if you could point me in the right direction. :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s really possible - Gatsby and Jekyll are designed with very different philosophies. Gatsby, at its core, is designed to make pulling in content from multiple places extremely easy, and Jekyll is designed for simple blogging using markdown and liquid. It’s not really designed for external sources, like Ghost.

Thanks for letting me know, @vikaspotluri123. I’ve currently got my Jekyll setup with Netlify’s CMS, which I’m not a big fan of. So, I was hoping to wire it with Ghost. Hopefully there’ll be a way sometime in the future.

FWIW, I moved from Jekyll/Netlify CMS earlier this year.

I found an old Jekyll → ghost importer (painful: had to install Ghost 1, import there, upgrade ghost, export, and then import into my ghost.org blog) which got me “most” of the way there … but, it doesn’t do anything with the actual post content, so my really old blog posts are in ghost but are pretty ugly with liquid tags.

As someone who moved from Jekyll, I am still loving ghost. I have been horrifyingly busy at work the past month so I haven’t blogged much, but I’ve still dashed off a few things for fun. I’ve managed to integrate a bibtex system, and export custom .rss feeds for my micro.blog (a few of the things I liked about my old jekyll setup).

(fyi, my blog is at blairmacintyre.me … the front page needs a bit of work, but I’m happy with the various blog pages)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.