Members can subscribe themselves to paid newsletters for free?

Not sure if this is a bug or I’ve got a wrong setting somewhere.

I have a test account subscribed to a free newsletter on my site. When they use the portal to manage their account Email Preferences they see this:

The slider next to the paid “Supporter Edition” is greyed out, but they can click on it and it will activate and subscribe them to that newsletter without going through the payment process:

I’ve confirmed the subscription to the paid newsletter in the Member section of the Admin. I’ve even unsubscribed them in the Member section, re-subscribed them (from within an Incognito window), and refreshed the Member view to confirm the subscription.

I’m self-hosting using the latest version of Ghost. All membership flow is using portal loaded from the CDN.

Cheers,

James

Newsletters are like topics for people to subscribe to - anyone can subscribe to any topic.

As a publisher, you can choose to deliver a newsletter to either free or paid subscribers of that newsletter - and members will only receive it if they are [free] or [paid], respectively.

If you have a “free” and “supporter” edition around the same topic, generally it’s best to have 1 newsletter. Then segment free/paid at the time of delivery. This also allows you to (optionally) send free-previews of paid newsletters to encourage people to upgrade.

Ahhh. Okay. This is a UX thing. I was thinking a paid newsletter is a paid newsletter. But this is akin to how Substack’s subscriptions work.

Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

Unfortunately, everyone gets the full text if they set their email to plain text. Ghost Newsletter email includes ALL text when a paid-members newsletter is sent to free members, in plaintext only · Issue #16131 · TryGhost/Ghost · GitHub

1 Like

That’s not really related to this topic - but the team is working on a fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

@John , sorry, I didn’t mean to take us off-topic, and I’m super glad to hear that a fix is in the works. I posted it here specifically because your proposed solution to send the same newsletter to all and use the free preview functionality meant that free members would be able to see the paid content until this bug is patched.*

(* Although admittedly only those who happened to notice it was there in the plaintext version of the email. )

1 Like

No worries - fair point :slight_smile:

1 Like

The issue stills without workaround?

1 Like

Has this issue been resolved? Ghost Newsletter email includes ALL text when a paid-members newsletter is sent to free members, in plaintext only · Issue #16131 · TryGhost/Ghost · GitHub

I’m testing this now, where I set the free preview divider in my post:

And have it set to a paid tier only:

However when I send this email to myself, I can bypass the payment screen and see the full post:

Sending Test Email:

Clicking X on Payment Screen:

Full Post Available in Browser:

1 Like