New Stripe payment methods not showing up

I have connected Stripe payout on my Ghost website. I recently added SEPA as an option alongside credit cards. The new payment method does not show up in Ghost though.

Stripe says:

We’ve detected that you are not using Automatic Payment Methods. To manage payment methods from this page get the latest version of Checkout, Payment Element or Payment Links.

I’m not sure how I can do that, though. Anyone has an idea how I can update the Stripe connection?

We’re on version 4.42.1. I tried dis- and reconnecting Stripe, but that’s not possible while there are active memberships.

3 Likes

I’ve checkt the tutorial Strips shows me when I want to add the SEPA method into my existing Ghost/Stripe integration.

But I have now idea what to do with this. So my question is: Is it even possible to add payment methods other than credit cards (and Apple Pay, which also seems to work) into my Ghost subscriptions?

1 Like

The update on 5.0 didn’t fix the issue. The SEPA payment method is still not showing up at all. Glad about any hints towards how this could be fixed.

2 Likes

Thanks for bringing the issue up. Ghost Support just told me that SEPA is still not supported in the default portal - which is very unfortunate, because in Germany no one knows Stripe and the trust in “credit card only” isn’t big at all. SEPA would be a nice way to get german customers to sign up. Everything else, even the Paypal Button “integration” is just a no go workaround for :-/

Hope they will fix this soon.

3 Likes

Thank you for the update! I really hope this gets integrated, it would be so great for users in Germany.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Looks like we ran into the same issue for our Dutch customers: our necessary iDeal payment method was finally allowed and activated by both iDeal and STRIPE, but it doesn’t show up / sync in Ghost Pro :frowning:

I’ve asked Ghost Pro support for help, will update here.

1 Like

I’m glad that I only move one smaller site to Ghost from WordPress. Before doing I checked the available payment methods of Stripe, seemed alright. But sadly the Ghost integration is limiting it to credit card only.
Doesn’t make sense at all in several European countries like like. We really need SEPA/iDeal.

On the other hand, later this year no new V-pay and Maestro cards will be provided by Dutch banks. Debit Mastercard en Visa Debit will be the new standard. It will only take a bit more than 5 years before all Dutchies switched to the new debitcard standards.

1 Like

I personally don’t have a paid membership site, but I think you need to configure SEPA support in Stripe, it’s not something Ghost manages.

(specifically - it states that Connect Support/Yes)

True, Stripe does support a lot of payment methods.
But in the API connection with Ghost limiting the methods:
Screenshot from 2024-02-23 10-47-00
(screenshot is from the Stripe interface)

Did you get any response?

It is indeed limited in the source: Ghost/ghost/stripe/lib/StripeAPI.js at main · TryGhost/Ghost · GitHub

Line 461 and Line 555:

payment_method_types: [‘card’]

@Ghost: Is there a reason behind this limitation?

1 Like

Hi Frank, is this issue solved or is it still not possible to pay with iDeal?

So yes, it is possible with a workaround.
In Stripe enable iDeal/SEPA, you probably need some ID verification.

After that, you can manage your products (subscribtions) and also create a pricing table. This pricing table output a html/js, which you can embed in a Ghost-page. (example).
You add a redirection on your free signups to this a a ‘welcome page’.
New subscribers will be added to Ghost too and get a confirmation mail from your Ghost site.

This shows that the limitation is Ghost, not Stripe.

Found this article on the Stripe blog, this might be the solution for Ghost:

We’ve now resolved this issue and added beta support for additional payment methods - including Paypal and iDEAL

This will ship tomorrow in Ghost 5.82.0 and be available on Ghost(Pro) early next week

I’m going to close this topic, but please open new topics if you use this feature and have feedback about it - we’d love to hear how it goes.

1 Like