Problems configuring self-hosted email

We are trying to set up a self-hosted ghost installation at a local community server in Austria, so it was clear to us from the beginning that we would have to make some changes in order to use our own email and newsletter services. I have read through all the forum posts I could find here about setting up self-hosted email, but so far nothing has worked. Maybe somebody else can recognize what we are missing.

We have a virtual machine with Ubuntu 22.04.4
Node.js version v18.19.1
Ghost Version: 5.76.0

This is our current mail configuration:

“mail”: {
“from”: “contact@real.mail.address”,
“transport”: “SMTP”,
“options”: {
“host”: “mail.servus.at”,
“port”: 587,
“auth”: {
“user”: “username”,
“pass”: “password”

Does anyone see what we are missing to send transactional emails?

Invitation emails are not sent, but we also can’t send another invitation to the same email address, because we get the error message that this email address has already been invited. When attempting to subscribe, we get the error message that the “magic link” couldn’t be sent.

What does it say in your Ghost server logs?

You should be able to find these with running ghost log in the directory you’ve installed Ghost in.

Thanks, Jannis. I had been going through the logs in /var/www/ghost/content/logs without finding useful information. With ghost log I got to the information: Sender address rejected: need fully-qualified address

I think that helps.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Failed to send email. Reason: Invalid login: 535 Authentication failed

I also have the same problem, until I changed my profile email with match username - also, I changed the port to 465