Twitter integration through Zapier, adding hashtags?

Hi guys,

I’ve just moved from Wordpress to Ghost to set up a new personal blog documenting my photography, and writing articles and tutorials on photography and tech and other things that interest me. I’m trying to create my personal brand.

But I digress; with the Twitter integration through Zapier, is it possible to add hashtags to the automation workflow, because I can’t figure out how to do it. Has anybody done this, or knows how to use the tags from Ghost as hashtags for the Twitter post?

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 Like

Hey @benravetta :wave:
I haven’t looked far enough into the Zapier integration for Twitter but there might be a way to take the tags from a Ghost post and use them as the hashtags? Or use the meta title containing the hashtags as the Twitter text?

1 Like

Hey @DavidDarnes, I’ve had a tinker and can’t seem to get it to work. I can add the tags in I think, but would need to prepend them with the hash ‘#’ and I just don’t know how to do that.

I think you cam just type them normally as text. In the Zapier integration, where you type the Text portion of your update, you can just type a # followed by any Ghost data.

2 Likes

Hi @chenningg, thanks for your reply. That would work for the primary tag, I think. But for the whole list of tags, it wouldn’t work for anything except the first one, I don’t think.

Ah yes, good point. I guess in this case you’d want to swap this for meta field in the post? Then you could have more control over the hashtags

David, are you talking about the Twitter card description?

You could repurpose the post Excerpt and insert the hashtags there? Then pull the excerpt through in Zapier. You’ll need to modify your theme to skip the excerpts use :blush:

1 Like

I don’t want to remove the post excerpt, as I use it and have more plans for it. I wonder if there is a way I can format line items from the tag slugs from Ghost through Zapier.

Ok, I’m not sure if this works as I can’t test it but you can try adding Zapier’s text formatting step as a 2nd step before you post to Twitter:

Split the tags array by “,” and then you can get each tag on a newline or as separate fields.

2 Likes

Yes, I had this idea myself but didn’t know how to do it. Thanks so much, I think this could be a viable option, let me run some tests and come back to you.

1 Like

Hi @chenningg @DavidDarnes, I managed to get this working. I put together a blog post (of course :rofl:) to explain how for anybody interested.

https://benravetta.com/adding-hashtags-to-your-ghost-twitter-integration-using-zapier/

2 Likes

Twitter integration with Zapier was not helped us when it exceded the activities. Therefore I have used IFTTT integration RSS Module to Twitter.

If it is useful to all of you, I’ll tell you hiw to do that.

Below screenshot show how did I add hash tags and get unlimited automated tweet.

The task limit is a real bottleneck with Zapier, even on the expensive plans it’s limiting if you’re running lots of small tasks. IFTTT is still quite expensive though and I don’t think it offers as much. Having used both, there was a time I preferred IFTTT over anything else. But now I’m not so sure.

I created a template in Zapier last night, which was accepted this afternoon. Now you’ll be able to access this Zap much easier.

2 Likes

Super cool! Thanks for creating and sharing this :blush:

1 Like