Zapier action for delete Member?

I am using Zapier to update Revue every time I get a new Member in Ghost. This seems to work well, but there is no reverse action (yet?).

If someone unsubscribes from Revue, there is no matching Zap to delete a Member in Ghost. I assume this is coming, but I thought I would officially ask :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @stevemitchell :wave:. This is a known limitation of the beta. I’ll submit this feedback to the team, thank you for the feedback :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you.

The only thing I would say, as I know somewhere someone will say “this is beta, your mileage may vary” and that Subscribers was a Labs feature for years in Ghost 2.x and many of us became reliant on it. With the upgrade to 3.0, especially with Ghost(pro), we have no choice - Subscribers is gone, and Members is now the only option. For those of us who have used Subscribers as a way to manage email lists, we have no way to delete anything anymore, so it’s essentially a removal of a feature we had before.

Again, I realize it is beta, but I would hope this gets prioritized high in the list of things to do since many of us have broken workflows now, and no alternative other than to leave Ghost(pro) and go back to 2.x self-hosted which I absolutely want nothing to do with :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not only is there no parity between Subscriber events and Member events, the event format itself has also changed. Events used to include the type of event, e.g.

• subscriber.added
  • subscriber.deleted
  • site.changed.

That is no longer the case. I understand APIs do change, but please document the changes. And flag regressions ahead of time.

At the time of writing this post, Custom + Ghost still lists the old events and Ghost Webhooks is a 404.

Thank you for this feedback. I understand your gripes, and we very much appreciate your awareness of the context and the tone you delivered this feedback in :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey @bartt. The webhooks link you posted does work, if you click on it then it’ll redirect you to the latest version (v3) of the webhooks docs. However thanks for reporting that internal link, we’ve now updated it so it directly navigates to the v3 webhooks docs. Here’s a direct link for anyone else arriving on this thread:

1 Like

Thank you for fixing those links @DavidDarnes. I would love to see the inclusion of event examples.

Or at least mention how one can use https://webhook.site/ to inspect what a (test) event includes.

1 Like

Hey @stevemitchell @bartt

Good news! We’ve shipped member.deleted and member.edited webhooks, which are also available in the Zapier integration under “Member Deleted” and “Member Updated”.

The Webhooks page has been updated accordingly: Ghost Webhooks

Thanks for your feedback :)

4 Likes

Just looking through this post as I’ve been trying to achieve the same thing with MailerLite - that is when someone unsubscribes in mailer I want to update their membership status in Ghost to turn off their newsletter subscription. I can sync the members one-way across to Mailer, but if they unsubscribe I can’t see a way to update them in Ghost. Am I right in assuming the member.deleted and member.edited webhooks are one way one triggers - so they don’t really solve the initial question of how to sync unsubscribes back to Ghost?

@stevemitchell - Did you ever work out how to solve for this with Revue/Zapier? Also @Kym, I’m not sure why your post is marked as the solution when it seems to fix an entirely different problem to the initial question - which was about sending unsubscribe information back to Ghost via Zapier?

Hey! It does look like the solution was marked in error. I’ve removed this now.

The update I shared previously was when we added the member.deleted and member.edited webhooks, which can be used as a trigger in Zaps, but not as an action. We updated the webhooks docs page based on feedback in this thread :slight_smile:

The best solution that would solve your use case is if we allow Zapier to update your members email subscription status in Ghost, based on events in other apps. So if someone unsubscribes in MailerLite > they will be unsubscribed from emails in Ghost. They wouldn’t be removed as a member (as they may have a paid membership).

Thanks for bringing this to our attention again :raised_hands:

Thanks Kym,

Yes that would absolutely solve the problem. There was obviously that ability in the past for subscriptions and I can still see it in Zapier, but it doesn’t exist for Members as an action. So right now it’s a very manual process. So if we can update members email status in Ghost that would be perfect and allow us to keep things in sync.

One question I had about member.updated webhook you mentioned in the first post - is it possible to use this to tell if someone has unsubscribed using Ghost? I know we can see if new members have joined, or if other details have been updated. But I can’t see an email status coming through the member.updated option in Zapier. Also is there a way to tell via the webhook if someone is on a paid vs free subscription?

The member updated trigger event in Zapier sends updated information for the name, email address, notes and the time the member was last updated. It doesn’t send information about whether someone has changed their subscription status.

Could you share a few use case examples of what you’re hoping to achieve?

I can think a lot of cases. If you want to sync your newsletter with a third party system that also send emails, and the member has decided not to receive any emails, you want to make sure you are not sending them any emails from other places.
Also, there is no way to get stats at the moment on the admin side, to know how many of your users are subscribed by email or not. You only get members data and you need to export the csv to see their subscription status.
This also affects GDPR in Europe.
It is really important to get that info, and adding it to the webhook will allow to have workarounds until that data is shown on the admin.
I hope it helps. :slight_smile:

Hi @Kym. As @darkpollo mentioned, if you want to run emails separate to Ghost. For example, I want to send email comms that aren’t posted to my Ghost site, so I’m using MailerLite. However if I did send an article update via Ghost, and then someone was to unsubscribe to emails, I’d need to respect their wishes and not email them from MailerLite either - hence the need to have email subscription status as a member.updated trigger.

The other use case of having a subscription status attached to the member webhooks is I’d love to sometimes send members-only welcome emails that aren’t published as blog posts to let those members know about some of the perks they received by becoming a paid subscriber, or I might want to send free subscribers additional content that differs from what paid subscribers get. If I knew a members status via member created, and subscription status was a webhook trigger, then I could make sure I don’t email the wrong group of subscribers.

2 Likes

Great! Thanks for sharing your feedback. We have it on our radar to make the Zapier integration more flexible to support use cases like this :)

One other note — instead of members-only welcome emails, you could also consider having welcome pages on your Ghost site instead.

You can create custom welcome pages inside Ghost Admin, and then redirect new members to these pages when they click the confirmation email upon sign up. You can either do this using code injection (as documented in steps 2 & 3 in our FirstPromoter integration), or directly in your theme.

Benefits of welcome pages:

1. It’s a better sign-up flow with less friction. Instead of Sign up > Get email > Click Link > Land on Homepage > Get another email, new members would simply land on the welcome page right away upon confirming, from there they can continue to browse your content.

2. Welcome pages are also a good option if you want to run a referral program, or track sign up events for Analytics.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion.
That works for the welcome email.
The problem is that, with the current limitation of Mailgun for newsletters, some people prefer to use a third party system to send the emails (I prefer amazon SES for example).
But there is no way to keep both system sync, so all the integrations under https://ghost.org/integrations/email/ cannot be used at the moment until this is fixed.

Thanks for considering it.