Add themes to ghost

I want to install a new theme on ghost. but I am getting the following error. how do i fix this
Error: Not all page features are being used

This error only applies to pages created with the Beta editor. Some page features used by Ghost via the {{@page}} global are not implemented in this theme. Find more information about the {{@page}} global here.

Affected files:
  • page.hbs: @page.show_title_and_feature_image is not used

You are trying to upload a theme that hasnā€™t implemented a change from a few months back. You can either ignore the error or fix it:

When I ignore it, the entire theme does not load. How can I fix? Iā€™m not using the beta version, can I still fix it?

Please have a look at the thread I linked above. It has the ā€œfixā€ in there.

Yes I saw it, thank you. but I think the above solution is for beta version and I am not using beta version. Iā€™m looking for a solution for those who donā€™t use the beta version.

There is no beta version anymore. The new editor has been rolled out a few months ago:

If you still see ā€œbeta editorā€ anywhere in your Ghost admin, you might be on an outdated version.

So, the solution in the thread I linked will work ā€“ I know plenty of Ghost sites using it in the current non-beta-new-editor versions :wink:

Normally, this error doesnā€™t prevent the theme from loading. Is there a second error?

Yes, the theme is installed but all its features do not work.

Okay, for us to help you with that you will need to give us a bit more information. What theme are you using? What are the issues?

I downloaded the Gwen theme from Envato Elements and uploaded the zip file through the admin panel. I received the error above when I uploaded it. When I clicked continue, the theme was uploaded but it is not working properly. My code is as follows:

Please tell us ā€œnot working properlyā€ means.

My first best guess is that you havenā€™t set up the theme in some way, or it just looks weird because you donā€™t have any content on your site. (This is a total guess since you havenā€™t linked your site, but itā€™s a common source of confusion for new users.) Youā€™ll want to check the documentation for that theme - it might need a routes.yaml file uploaded, or some custom variables set.

your initial guess might be correct :( Below is an example of the theme and a screenshot of my own site. Why is the slider section not showing up on my page?

I would usually tell you to refer to the theme documentation, butā€¦ā€¦the one linked on the Envato page it non-existent :upside_down_face:

This theme looks like it was ported from a Wordpress theme: Gwen - Blog & Magazine Elementor Template Kit, WP Template Kits ft. blog & clean - Envato Elements

So, honestly, no idea. This is not a theme that we usually see here in the forum and without analysing the code base or having a documentation, itā€™s tricky to pinpoint what specifically youā€™d need to do.

All theme settings in Ghost are located in Settings ā†’ Design & Branding ā€“ so, if the author has set anything up, it would be there.

Iā€™ll take a wild guess that the slider is ā€˜featuredā€™ posts (mark them in the right settings menu of the post editor), and the top section is probably the siteā€™s cover image (set under design & branding). But itā€™s absolutely a guess. It could also be that the theme is supposed to have a special page with that content, and youā€™re going to have to either read the code (start from home.hbs if you have one) or contact the theme seller.

Another option if this is a recent purchase would be to ask envato for a refund, if no documentation is provided. (Iā€™d peek inside the themeā€™s .zip file first, because there might be some there!)

1 Like