London: How to enable memberships and subscriptions?

Hi there, I’m a brand new Ghost(Pro) user and have virtually no coding skills in any language (I was proud of myself for managing to change some text in the Lyra html signup form, if that gives you an idea of my skill level). But I really, really love the London theme and would be thrilled if I could learn how to make it work for a subscription newsletter instead of Lyra. How hard would that conversion be? Is there a good guide somewhere that breaks the process down in terms I might have a hope of understanding? Thanks for any advice you can offer, even if that advice is “don’t bother.”

edit: Thanks to this thread I’ve learned that I can get at least part of the way there by copying Lyra’s /members folder and routes.yaml into the London theme. Looks like the main issue after that is copying some css as well to make everything show up in the right places. How would I know which css to grab from where, or is it easier to make the imported Lyra files conform to London’s existing css instead?

I’m sort of in the same place. I’m a writer with no coding skills and wondering why the membership feature isn’t part of all templates from the get-go. It would make it so much easier for non-coders like me to use Ghost for building a business around content. I feel frustrated I have to spend time learning how to code.

I would love for someone to explain in very simple terms, like to a five year old, how to apply memberships to the London theme. Just like you mention @johnmuller.

Thanks for any advice given. Much appreciated.

Hey Michell, for what it’s worth I wound up turning to Dan Rowden’s services: the Substation theme (basically Substack but for Ghost), Cove (Dan’s comment system), and Gloat (getting everything set up on Digital Ocean). The end product is less visual than the London theme I was thinking of when I wrote that first post but it’s clean, simple, and great for a newsletter.

Thanks, John for your feedback. I ended up digging into a little bit of code with the help of the forum here and chose a slightly customized version of Lyra.

I had a good correspondence with John O’Nolan (founder of Ghost) and it seems that his team is working hard on a new version of Ghost where memberships are implemented in all themes. So I guess we are on track supporting the platform. They have their eye on this market that non-coders like you and I belong to.

I like the simplicity of your site, btw. :slight_smile: